Plycem

Started by alex trent, January 12, 2012, 07:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex trent

It is readily available down here and since the plywood is so expensive and lousy to boot I would like to use this.

The info I am able to get online on this is not clear on a couple of things.  Here they anly know it as a subtitute for sheetrock, so the answers are fuzzy.

1. Can I use this for subfloor?

2.Can I use this for my corners for structural bracing?

MountainDon

http://www.castleblock.com/Plycem.html[/color]]http://www.castleblock.com/Plycem.html

Plycem is a high performance substitute for plywood. What plywood does, Plycem does better. Non-combustible, Plycem is the obvious choice for high fire hazard requirements. A non-combustible roof can often mean reduced costs for fire sprinkling systems and fire insurance. Thinner sheeting can be placed behind or over drywall to increase the fire resistance rating. Recycled content is 20% (mineralized fiber).

Plycem is structural. That means it will safely span joists and rafters and serve functionally as a floor or roof deck. It can be nailed down, screwed down and glued down. Plycem will not rot or be subject to termite damage. Additionally Plycem is siliconized for increased moisture resistance..... rain on your job site should not intimidate you, Plycem will dry out just like wood will - only without the warping.

Tile can be applied directly to the surface eliminating the need for joist setbacks to adjoining areas. Plycem also has a higher shear value (about 30%) than Struc I plywood.

It does not specify what distance it can span in that info tho.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

alex trent

I saw that site and had same feeling as you...lots of "how good we are" and not many specifics.

Turns out the stuff is big in LA and not so big in USA...at least not this brand.  Might be why not a lot of info. I did find a  PDf files on how to use each type (wall, floor, etc)...it is translated from Spanish to English but readable.  still leave out some important details, although it pretty much tell you how to build the rest of the house. Has some real advantages but cannot seem to find anyone here with a definitive answer on many things.