Bracing

Started by alex trent, November 26, 2011, 08:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex trent

I am a believer in bracing posts.  Mostly due to info on here.

Two questions...6x6 posts to beams 4" wide.  Front post are 6 feet above grade.

I have 18 post in three rows or a 22 x 30

1.  Can I do the front two rows (six posts on the 6 foot side) or must I do all?

2. The brace will be 45 degrees...post to beam. 4x4 or 2x4?

Don_P

Alex,
It would be easier to follow if you stick to asking questions about this house on one thread. It is hard to keep up with your evolving thoughts.

If all the posts around the perimeter are well braced, then the center row doesn't need to be. The longer the brace the better it is at stabilizing the post. If too short it actually acts more to jack things apart than to hold them in place. I haven't really seen a good brace on here yet. The dimension of the brace material needs to be able to take the lateral load without buckling. If you do brace a 6' post with a 45 degree brace it is going to be about 8-1/2' long... the 2x4 will buckle at that length under much load. The bigger issue is usually the connections at each end. If you can notch the brace in a bit, capture the ends in hangers of some sort, or support its' ends on those scabbed on side boards along the post the connection will be much better. The reason I keep pushing the full height posts is the wall bracing above onto the post goes a long way toward bracing the post below.