Kitchen renovations

Started by benevolance, September 25, 2006, 12:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

Thanks for the tips guys... I would like to find a solid wood formal dining room set... or just the table and chairs...I missed out on a gorgeous one about 6 months ago...It was at a annual antique sale.. they close down the whole main street of the local small one dog town near where I live...and everyone sells antiques on a saturday/ sunday if the weather is nice...

It is in a couple weeks so I am going to go there hoping to score a nice table and chair set...

Last year I had $500 bucks on me and this absolutely gorgeous set was for sale with table, chairs a china hutch/cabinet and buffet...The guy wanted $800 for the set and I talked to him and he was willing to take $600... I just did not have the money...I called the wife and she said.."no I am not lending you $100 for a table we don't need"

I will make sure to take twice that amount with me this year...Just in case I see something I just gotta have.

It is dangerous for me to go to those things with money in my pocket ;D

Onto other things...Peg's furniture does look pretty impressive...Reminds me of some of the stuff my Grandpa used to turn out when I was little boy...He hated to sand so he used to make me do that....Sand and Verathane....Those were my jobs when I would go to stay for the week-end....

I miss working in the shop making simple little things like Footstools, magazine racks...etc Hard to believe my Grandpa has been dead 7 years come January... :o...Where does the time go?

Had I a woodworking shop built I would try to make some of the things I need to fix the house...As it is I will transplant my  portable workbench, tablesaw, drillpress, skillsaw to the livingroom  down at the new house while I am doing some of the renovations.

I mentioned it once before...Does anyone have a specific way they like to remove about 10 layers of paint from Cabinets and Moldings.... the 80 year old house has lots and lots of paint....you cannot exactly sand on crown moldings....I have seen advertisements for Heat and strip guns...I know for cars they make excellent chemical paint stripper...And there is also those multi use dremmel tools with all the different shaped bits on them...

Anyone want to tell me what they have found works the best...I was thinking of investing in the heat and strip gun set up this week...And maybe try it out on some of the old trim here that has several coats of paint on it to practice.

CREATIVE1

Why don't you ask that question (about stripping paint) as a new topic in the General Forum?  It may get more responses.

benevolance

Good idea... duly noted I will do just that...Thank you