TSA like federal mandates can get us at unexpected places

Started by peternap, December 03, 2010, 10:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

This is something I have a personal interest in. I know the gentleman involved and have closely followed this since it happened. I will say a lot more later, but right now I'll just let the thread run it's course.

Most of us are pro 2nd people. This is a slap in the face to every gun owner in this nation. Even the people not adamant about gun rights, violating Virginia law and making up charges for not showing ID is an abomination.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83848-**-Legal-Defense-fund-for-Skidmark-**&p=1413655#post1413655

Legal Defense fund for Skidmark -

Several weeks ago Skidmark took a notion to drive to Williamsburg from his home near Richmond, thinking that he'd take the scenic route to enjoy the fall color in the leaves along the James River. His leisurely trip was interrupted at the Surry ferry crossing; a private contractor working for VDOT to "ensure security" ordered Skidmark to get out of his car, instead of asking if he could look inside the vehicle as he is supposed to do. Perhaps the "security" contractor noticed Skidmark's GSL and VCDL magnets on the rear of the car.

Skidmark asked the guy what authority he had for ordering him out of his car instead of simply asking him to pop the back open so they could look inside. The guy refused to answer that question, and simply reasserted his demand that Skidmark get out of the car. Skidmark elected not to take the ferry, and went to the turn-around point where he had a conversation with the "security" contractor's supervisor. When Skidmark asked him what authority the first guy had to order him out of the car, the supervisor basically called Skidmark a liar and told him that what had just happened never did happen. Skidmark pointed his finger at the supervisor, punctuating the word, "you", and said, "You don't know, you weren't there."

The supervisor took the finger-pointing as "a threat" and ended up calling the Sheriff's office. Now, Skidmark was openly wearing his Rohrbaugh 9mm at the time, but never made any reference to it during the course of these events. A deputy showed up after a while and interviewed everyone else who was involved before getting around to talking to Skidmark. By now, Skidmark had parked and locked his car, and was never "operating a motor vehicle" during the time the deputy was present. The deputy demanded that Skidmark produce a driver's license. The deputy threatened Skidmark with unspecified criminal charges if he failed to produce the driver's license as ordered. Since Skidmark was not in, or even near, a car, he declined to do so, orally identifying himself by giving the deputy his name and address.

At no time did Paul gesture towards, touch, mention, or make any reference to, his handgun.

The deputy demanded that Skidmark produce "paperwork for that gun". Skidmark asked what "paperwork" the deputy was referring to and was told "We want to make sure that gun is legal."

After finally getting the deputy to state that he was not detained and was free to leave, Skidmark got in his car and left. No attempt was made to stop him or to place him under custodial arrest for any offense.

Much later, having arrived back at home in Chesterfield County, Skidmark was placed under full custodial arrest by five deputies from the Chesterfield County Sheriff's Office (who even brought their K-9 unit along). These men cuffed Skidmark, put him in the back of a cruiser and took him to the Chesterfield courthouse where he was fingerprinted, photographed and took him in front of a magistrate. There, Skidmark learned that he had been charged with obstruction of justice and brandishing a firearm. (Obviously, if either of these charges had been legitimate, Skidmark would have been arrested on the spot.) Skidmark had to put up a sizeable cash bond in order to secure his release, because the magistrate in Surry County had specifically marked the misdemeanor arrest warrants to prohibit release upon recognizance or by issuance of a summons. They clearly wanted Skidmark to have to go to jail pending trial.

Several members of this Forum attended the first hearing in Surry to set the trial date fully expecting both charges to be nolle pros'ed. We were not allowed in the court room – the hearing was CLOSED. Trial was set for Jan 4, 2011.

Let me consolidate this for you – Skidmark "brandished" his finger and didn't produce his papers on demand. He thought he had the situation resolved, but apparently underestimated the deputy's determination to punish him for contempt of cop – the "we can do this the easy way or the hard way" type of thing.

Like a lot of us, Skidmark is not in a position to comfortably afford the needed representation on his own. Something I think that the deputy was counting on – what they don't understand is our collective resolve.

Accordingly, we are setting up a legal defense fund for Skidmark and hope that many of you will contribute and plan to attend the trial. The following from his attorney:

Skidmark's Legal Defense Fund
Anyone wishing to contribute should send a check to:

Virginia Legal Defense
P.O. Box 100
Broad Run, Va. 20137

Checks should be made out to "VLD Attorney Escrow", with a notation on the memo line that it's for Skidmark (Paul Henick). Just writing "Henick" will be sufficient. All such checks will be deposited into the attorney-trust account on Paul's behalf and as his property; anyone who does so should understand that this is not tax deductible, and that it's an irrevocable gift to Paul. If there's money left over at the end of all this, it will go to him.

Or you direct funds through PayPal ....an account will be set up to handle this, hopefully tomorrow and that information posted here.

* I see this as an attack on all of us and we cannot let it go unanswered.

* I am shocked that a problem like this exists in my state.

* I am appalled that Surry has proceeded with it.

* I am angry and determined to do what I can.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

Windpower

Unbelievable !

well not really we are well on the way to a fascist police state -- this is just another proof

Funds on the way

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

rick91351

I heard about this the other day and did several searches to find out more.  Interesting all the news feeds that showed this as a headline were unable to hyperlink to the article or any other info.  Humm wonder why?  Thanks for passing this along.   I wonder if the ACLU can do anything for this case?

Hope this is the facts and when they get in to court they can present it as it actually occurred.  Please keep us informed.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

dug

Ah, the good old days when "the boys in blue" carried 38's and their black and whites carried the motto "to protect and to serve"  They look and act like soldiers these days and (generally) only serve the state.

My best friend for many years is a cop so of course there are exceptions.

peternap

Quote from: rick91351 on December 04, 2010, 12:10:49 PM
I heard about this the other day and did several searches to find out more.  Interesting all the news feeds that showed this as a headline were unable to hyperlink to the article or any other info.  Humm wonder why?  Thanks for passing this along.   I wonder if the ACLU can do anything for this case?

Hope this is the facts and when they get in to court they can present it as it actually occurred.  Please keep us informed.

Rick, the news doesn't have anything about this. I've been sitting on it since it happened. I have a lot of video and will have more when it's over.

Skid has the very best lawyer I know and he is trying to keep a lid on it until after the trial.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

rick91351

So this is not the person from Virginia that was arrested a couple of days ago and charged with having legal with having a legal firearm?  It was on AP, I seen it on Drudge and one other place (do not remember where) might have been a local news feed out of Virginia or that area, however the hyperlinks were dead all day.  Or I might be thinking of the guy that was sentenced to prison for possessing a legal firearm and I never could find out what he was charged with.  Guess I just jumped at a conclusion!  But with all the stuff in the news right now it is hard to keep it all in line.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

peternap

I don't think it's the same case Rick. I think I know the one you are talking about.

This is a big story that we have kept quiet in accordance with his lawyers wishes. I will be publishing something soon and as the trial gets closer, much more.
Right now, it's a rat race to get enough money to pay the lawyer. The posting on OCDO is amazing. Over 4000 hits in less than 48 hours and the pledges are coming in on Paypal.

Woodsrule

Dug, your post hit the nail right on the head. I am very concerned about the direction some departments are taking with their uniforms and attitude. I am a staunch proponent of police officers looking like police officers and not some paramilitary wannabees. I am a retired police officer and some years ago, a new chief wanted to outfit the officers with black uniforms, black boots and black gloves. He foolishly asked me what I thought and I told him that the uniforms looked like we were going to be an occupying army instead of an organization designed to protect and serve. Needless to say, the uniforms did not last long and the officers are now back to looking like officers, and not jack-booted thugs. People will act like they dress; it's a fact of life, and if you allow officers to look like SWAT operatives, they will tend to act like it. Just my 2 pennies.