Exterior Window Covers

Started by MountainDon, October 19, 2007, 09:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Show & tell time.  :)

The west facing front of our house has a couple of windows that soak up the summer sun and elevate the temperature in those rooms, our home office and spare bedroom/sewing room/catchall.

I made some covers years ago that helped reduce the heat gain, while still allowing enough light thru so  the rooms are not turned into caves. Today I was removing them for the cooler fall/winter season. It occurred to me that perhaps some of ya'll would like to see them, maybe get an idea.

They are redwood, 2x4 frames with 1x boards. The bottom of the side framing is cut at an angle to match the slope on the brick window sill. The covers simply sit on the brick window sill. A couple of small wedges keep them in place, no earthquakes to be concerned about here.  ;D  From the inside a swift kick or good shove is sufficient to dislodge them if escape was required for some reason.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

John Raabe

Nice looking and a simple fail safe escape mechanism.

Lots of ideas there for warm window solar controls.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

They look great , Don.  Cool idea. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

firefox

Very clever Don, especially the part about emergency exit, which a lot of people forget about
until they are trapped in a burning building. They sure look nice!
Bruce
Bruce & Robbie
MVPA 23824

Redoverfarm

Don good looking. Most people in the east would probably use the sunscreen on the glass or the reflective type used in office buildings. Like your idea better. You could probably get by without a lot of drapries too.

peter nap

ScottA

PEG688

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Woodsrule

Don,  That is a cool idea!  I have a couple south-facing windows that generate a lot of heat in the summer, so I will definitely look into your system.  Also, the construction looks to be top notch; your joints look to be good and tight.  Tony

MountainDon

Thanks for all the kudos.

They were built sometime between 91-93. Installed/removed every spring/fall, treated to a coat of something every few years. The finish product used has changed as formulations have changed over the years, but its been a transparent or semi-transparent finish.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

n74tg

Nice looking window cover; also nice that it has lasted as long as it has.

I notice you have seams in the brick above the window (and on one side below the window).  Was there a larger window installed at an earlier time?
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MountainDon

Good eye! I was wondering is someone would pick up on that subtle detail.

That is the original window. Those windows had faux stucco composition wood paneling (cheap) above and below them. We decided the front would look better if those areas were bricked. However, we could not find the same bricks anymore. There is a covered entryway to the front door. It used to have two brick columns beside a narrow concrete walk up to the front door.

After determining that the middle column was non structural I carefully tore it down and knocked all the old mortar off the bricks. I had counted bricks and calculated that there would be a few extras if none broke. Tearing down the column revealed the hollow core was filled in, not just with rubble but there were several brand new perfect bricks tossed in there as well. We hired a mason to use those bricks to infill above and below the windows.

Removing that brick column opened up the area. I completed the entry modifications laying the patio paver bricks directly on top of the old concrete walk. As well I expanded the area into a "porch" by hauling in sand, tamping, and laying more patio pavers in the proper manner.

Redoverfarm

Don  It doesn't matter how hard we try to hide our flaws someone will pick them out.  Good idea and it's not really noticable.

Hey I forgot to mention the other day when we were on the subject of rodents with the Va cabin.  If you recall one of the pictures you posted for me there is a shot of the end which has the smaller cabin. I refer to that as the Kitchen. Well I was pouring concrete floor in the basement and retaining wall footings and my son 12YOA came down from upstairs and asked me why I had a couple pieces of duct tape sticking on the window frame. I don't remember what I had used it for but when I took it off I just stuck it by the end against the frame.  He brought it to me and it was covered with "bear hair". Apparently a cub was investigating and rub up against it when he was climbing in the window. Or maybe it was a building inspector in disguise.