Setting CB66 post brackets

Started by peg_688, October 07, 2007, 12:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peg_688

Here's  a little lesson on bracket setting. These are for a trellis but the idea could work for a small cabin. We've been setting them this way for awhile and refining the process. IMO this is about as good as it can get for speed and more importantly accuracy.

You can see we screw the brackets to nice straight 2x4's on both sides , putting the 2 by outboard of the bracket. the 4x6 short "posts" are for ease of height adjustment , I have a spacer to account for the bracket thickness , we use 16d nails under the 2x4's to "sneak up" on the right height . The brackets are not intended to be level to each other in this  case  but they could just as easily have been set that way.

The 2x4's are laid out on horses with the desired spacing  in this case 66 1/2" apart , so we used 12 foot 2x4's to allow that extra area for the 4x6 holder post. The 1x4 also are laid out at one time with the desired width spacing   9' 5 1/2" , I also laid out the 2x4  for  the same 1x4 spacing so I could pull a  "for square" diagonal dimension.

Of course a  sloped site would make this in effective , but on a flat site you could sister the 2x4's together to get a longer set up going.

So here's the photos , hope it helps some one out,

The one "stray" bracket was set to a 40 lbs test fishing line we pulled thru the two points on the buildings and s line pulled along the existing garage foundation.

Lay out lines ,

this refined idea came at 0345 one Sunday morning I got up a drew it up for Monday morning pour. When I get "good ideas" I need to get them on paper or the details drift away.

This lil job is for a PITA architect , sorry John ,  :'(  he's a worry wart and has been making my boss nuts. I told Travis one or two things where going to happen , I would show the architect my plan he'd say " Humm that looks real good"  and go back into his house, or I'd be driven away within 20 minutes and he , Travis, would be setting the brackets alone!

So we talked he said " Well that looks real good , I'm going into town , see ya later!"  So I wasn't 100 % right ;D

He did come back and watched and commented he'd never seen it done quite so well.  He was very happy to say the least!

So anyway it works very well and could be adapted for John's plans. just pick out the straightest materials you can find , lay out every like item in one setting and have at it.

G/L PEG  

glenn-k

Good way to do it, PEG.  I always try to figure out some kind of bracket, jig or holder.  I told my helper the other day that there was plenty of other stuff to worry about when dealing with a truck load of cement besides  wondering if your steel was going to stay in the right place.

We made jigs to hold the future floor steel in place as it stuck out of the top of the walls a little over a foot.

You can see the holders with steel tied to them at the top.  Not as pretty as yours but no need for the precision at this point.  

Things taken care of before the pour won't become a problem during it. :)

MountainDon

That's very nice Paul!  8-)  Makes a difficult job easier.

And note that the form boxes have nice mitered corners.  :) :)  

Had to add this to the favorites.

peg_688

The home owner / architect had  those all made for us.   We had to pre set  the brackets to mark where to cut the existing PT boarders  boards off in the right spot. All in all it worked out well.

MountainDon

They appear to be made so well to be left in place.   ??

PEG688

Here's the [highlight]almost [/highlight]completed trellis , there's some 2x2's to put on that sit on the 2x8's and some copper 6x6 post caps to be installed.

A fun build ,  always nice to impress a architect with your carpenter skills  ;)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

That really looks nice, PEG.  Did you have to import the blue sky for the photo? :-? :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

It never rains where I am Glenn ;)

But really the weather changed so many times,  :o the past two days it was pure chance. Seattle and south of us has had some really bad weather of late , we had a some wind and a little rain at times.  Pretty normal , well for November / Dec. strange year with all this talk of global warming it been cooler here this year  ::)  

Back to the trellis , those 6x6 post I had to reorder the first five where not straight the next five I kept four and should have rejected two instead of just the one , the last post , the reordered "one" post was very nice , nicest Cedar 6x6 I've seen in years , makes the other four look even worst in ways  :(

Things that are different about this trellis ,

#1:  the 2x8's normally are rough sawn on one face , smooth on the other , the client wanted all smooth stock so I  ran the 2x8's thru the planer  and we put the "best" face out.

#2   The lower cross pieces are 3x6's, and so  are the diagonal bracing members (3x6's).  

#3  I even taught Travis that washers  do have a good and a not so good / bad side. He thought I was kidding about the washers being backassward when I first mentioned it  ;D But I showed him the difference , details eh  :o ;D

glenn kangiser

Yeah -- Washers are mostly punched out with a big press type machine giving one smooth side with rounded edges and one sharper side.  I never thought about being picky about it but now I guess I can. :)

I guess that just shows that you are a true pro. 8-)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Not only is there a right and a wrong side to common washers, but they vary in thickness as many are punched out of sheet scrap. Most people, of course, would never notice. But the assembly does look better with the washers the "right" way around.  :)  Nice looking bunch of work, Paul. Nicely rounded edges and ends too.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Thanks Mtn. D , I've mentioned that what I call calm feeling a well detailed job gives . Such as the deck threads I've done , we , IF I'm on the job , grade all our posts and balusters ( 2x2 pickets ) for color ( we either group them per section or make sure we mix in the odd color whether that's the light ones or dark ones. We also put the "most" VG face out to the public / most viewed side of the deck.  

Same on interior hand rails , so it becomes sort of what you "don't " see  that add that calm sense.

BTW those window covers you made looked very nice as well.

peg_688

Well all do except the post caps which is up to the client , detail of the rabbited in bracket at the build / ends of 2x8,

2x2's installed ,

And a local mountain just for fun,

Yet another rainy PNW day eh ;)

glenn-k

Trellis looks great, PEG, but that mountain looks like a volcano and you guys don't do so well with volcanoes there.  Remember what you did to the last one?

desdawg

QuoteTrellis looks great, PEG, but that mountain looks like a volcano and you guys don't do so well with volcanoes there.  Remember what you did to the last one?
Snow on the roof, fire in the boiler?

glenn-k

Oh -- that's referring to volcanoes, desdawg?  :-?

desdawg

Yepper. Where was your mind Glenn? Never mind.

PEG688

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

MountainDon