pex plumbing question

Started by dug, May 18, 2011, 07:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dug

I am using pex, specifically the Wirsbo/Uponor Propex system because I already have the tools. What sort of fittings do you use when you exit the wall for fixtures like sinks. The only source I can find for these fittings is pexsupply and I can't seem to find what I am looking for there, but then again I'm not really sure what I am looking for! ???

ScottA

You can do it a couple of ways. The cheap way is to simply stub out enough extra pipe so you can attach directly to the faucet/toilet with a female adapter. The fancy way is to use a drop ear ell and stub a treaded brass pipe nipple out of the wall to which you can attach a stop(shut off valve). From there you run a standard supply line to the fixture. I belive they also make a copper fitting that is bend like an ell that stubs out on one end and attaches to pex on the other. Same idea as the brass nipple but I like the nipple better, easier to repair.

muldoon

I am reading on this as well, here are some pictures that helped me.  These are what I believe Scott was describing, pex to copper ell.  These are sealed so you can do a pressure test on them before cutting them to size.  From there, you just add the compression fitting to a valve and have a solid connection to run your normal supply lines from. 

MountainDon

We used the copper stub outs as shown. The closed ends are there for pressure testing the system. The ends are cut off later; you can solder on valves or use the SharkBite push on fittings.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

We used pex/copper also in our commercial building.  I ran most of the pex and did the transitions myself.  I bought the crimp tool, and used the crimp fittings.  If I could do one thing over, I would better secure the copper to the stud to minimize wiggle when doing the finish work.  I used the standard fittings similar to the picture above, but the stubs still moved a bit, even after the drywall was in place.  The strap in the top picture would have been ideal.  We hired a plumber to do some design work, the final connections and test everything.  He gave me great guidance on the manifold also.  It was cheap advice and worth the dollars.

Anyone needing to rent my crimp tool in the Abq area can give me a call - the going rental rate is a box of Klondike bars.   ;D ;D
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

dug

Thanks! I see the copper stub outs on the pex website but being unfamiliar with the crimp fittings I wasn't sure how they worked.

I am also seeing the brass drop ears now and like the idea of the setup Scott mentioned. I will revisit this in the AM so I can get my plumbing stuff ordered and move on.

MountainDon

We used the drop ear fittings for the shower. Very handy things. Make sure you but fittings compatible with the Wirsbo-Uponer system; but you probably knew that.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

pmichelsen

I actually just ordered the supplies for a job I am doing in a few weeks and the way I am going to do it is the drop ear support, out of the wall through a chrome plated escutcheon and into my ProPEX angle stops. Though I am sure there are a hundred different ways you could do it.

Just saw this document on the PEXsupply site and it pretty much describes what I am doing to a T.

http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1282934446114/38420_PROD_FILE.pdf

texasgun

I used Vanguard  1/2" x 1/2" Brass Drop Elbow from Lowes about $2.50 each. They are great have 3 holes that you securely screw to the framing and then use a threaded nipple. these make a rock solid worry free mount that you dont have to worry about snapping off in the wall d*
WEST TEXAS

John_M

I loved using the sharkbite fittings!!  A little pricey but idiot proof!  d*
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!