Love this site! Will be building a Cabin Soon

Started by Willy, December 29, 2007, 01:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willy

Glad I found this site! Been having fun reading about others building there first cabin. This will be my first cabin but not my first building project. I did the complete interior of my home, built my 28 X 18 shop, 28 X 48 Barn and several other small building on my 40 acre place in Eastern Washington State. I bought 13 1/2 acres to build a cabin on near Chesaw Washington North of me. Bummed the snow has come for the winter but I have all my permits, plywood and drawing up all my wall details. I should be able to start in April on it and have it finished in a few weeks. I need to get it done before fire season starts cause I am on call with the USFS contracting a Water Tender to fight wildland fires. I have been in construction all my life and a Electrical Contractor for 13 years. This will be a fun project to do. It will be different drive to a place to build a cabin instead of building it at home. Got to make sure I have every thing I need before the 90 min drive. Been working out the steps so I can haul up what I need for wood each trip. The Tractor is going up the first trip and I will have the Pier/Post foundation set on the first week end. Then the next trip will be bilding the floor and walls. I figure the next trip will be the roof rafter, roof plywood and feltl so it will be sorta rain proof. After that the siding will go up and I will paint it real good with my Airless. I don't want over spray on the roof metal or decking! Then I can install the metal, decking, windows and doors. Should work out that only trim is left to paint. I will wire it for a generator but leave the inside un/finished for the new owner to finish as they please. I would love to keep it but this is a project to make a little money on and I hope to do it again next year. I am building the TRAPPER From the Cherokee Cabin Company. Seems like a nice little cosy design for a get away place. The 13 1/2 acres is located near a lot of good fishing spots and very close to 1,000s of acres of US Forest Land. Darn I wish winter was over now so I could get started on it!! Guess I will just have to keep reading on here to have something to do. I will post pictures as it goes up. Mark

Here is a link to pictres of the property. I plan to build inside the tree area just off the road.

http://imageevent.com/willy/pontiacridge

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum.  Sounds like you have a nice project planned - looking forward to seeing progress photos.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 29, 2007, 02:31:07 AM
w* to the forum.  Sounds like you have a nice project planned - looking forward to seeing progress photos.
Thank You! This is a picture of where I live now which is out in the Toolies allready! The lake is in the middle of my 40 acres. It has taken 10 years to build this place from raw land when I started. I am getting a little tired of building so the small cabin should be a change of pace. Mark

glenn kangiser

Looks like a nice ranch.  Reminds me of my flying days.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 29, 2007, 02:52:31 AM
Looks like a nice ranch.  Reminds me of my flying days.
I took this picture flying with a freind in a Powered Paraglider sorta like a Ultra Lite but it uses a Para/Wing instead. Sure was fun flying around in a lawn chair and the breeze in your face! Mark

glenn kangiser

Cool -- I haven't tried that -- corrosion in my Cessna 205 wing struts but - I spent enough doing that anyway.

I did a small amount of commercial aerial photography also.

Willy

Quote from: glenn kangiser on December 29, 2007, 03:08:28 AM
Cool -- I haven't tried that -- corrosion in my Cessna 205 wing struts but - I spent enough doing that anyway.

I did a small amount of commercial aerial photography also.
I allways wanted to do it but after a few trips thats enought of pushing my luck. The landings are kind of scary when you come in real fast and hit the ground. I would prefer a small plane any day. If you haven't ever flown in one it is totaly different and you feel like a bird. You also sit on a little seat with a prop a foot or two behind your back side. There is nothing around you and it can get real cold so you better wear good winter gear if you go up.  Mark

glenn kangiser

A friend across the highway a couple miles away teaches hang gliding.  The opportunity is there, however he also broke both ankles.  I think his vision may have been clouded by his beer goggles but I'm not sure.  Could have been a legitimate accident.  I'll probably try to find some other way to die. :)

Woodswalker

Yo Willy,

Welcome to the site!  I'm approaching completion of a cabin near Republic, overlooking Lake Curlew.  Just a few miles SE of you.  You must be young and strong to plan such an ambitious building schedule.  Have been working on mine the past two summers.  Look forward to seeing some pics of your property and building progress.  I've posted considerable pics and text on this site you might be interested in checking.  Seems that part of the state has been getting lots of snow this winter.  Good luck on the build.

Steve

Willy

Quote from: Woodswalker on December 29, 2007, 01:19:36 PM
Yo Willy,

Welcome to the site!  I'm approaching completion of a cabin near Republic, overlooking Lake Curlew.  Just a few miles SE of you.  You must be young and strong to plan such an ambitious building schedule.  Have been working on mine the past two summers.  Look forward to seeing some pics of your property and building progress.  I've posted considerable pics and text on this site you might be interested in checking.  Seems that part of the state has been getting lots of snow this winter.  Good luck on the build.

Steve
Well I am 56 years of age and not as young as I used to be! I have found that planing each move will make things go faster. The old saying doing it once the right way. I have a winch on the front of my truck to pull up the tallest wall and any other one that might be a pain. Like all the rafter I will place them on the short wall from the outside all at once and lift them in place one right after another. Then I will nail them up saving many trips with a ladder and going outside the building. If I did not need my trailer for hauling wood I would bring my tractor with me for the plywood roof and a few other things. The loader with a platform would be nice to lift stuff. Fuel is a big issue since I will be driving my 1 ton 454 pick up truck so I will be spending a few days at a time on the site and eating in Chesaw. I realy don't want to leave not nailed up materials on site to easy for another builder to use on there place with the cost of wood being high. I will try to have all the rafter tails pre cut along with my Posts for the foundation all ready to go up. Much easier to work at home inside my shop! The trailer is 18 ft long and will make a nice work area for cutting lumber on. I will have some help digging on the 18 holes for the posts and setting them in place. It goes so much faster with help at that stage!! I know where you are building at and maybe we can hook up for a visit some day when I am at the property?  Ye4s  the snow should be pretty deep right now I have around 12 inches on the ground here right now. Mark