Plumbing "hot tip"

Started by PEG688, July 08, 2006, 10:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

So the plumbers putting in a new toilet a few days ago for use , I've aways been told / advised to use two wax rings , cheap insurance the plumbers have said . This is multiple plumbers advice the 2 wax ring deal.

One with the rubber deal one without , just wax .

So I spy him heating the wax ring , I said "That's the hot tip eh?" He said, "YA don't tell anyone !"   :o

Here's what he does , 1 wax ring , the one without the rubber boot thing goes on the flange on the floor . Heat it just a lil bit  , so the wax just starts to ooze / softens / melts on to the pipe / flange .

Tip the toilet , lower part only , upside down , heat(with the torch) the toilet just a [highlight]lil bit [/highlight]around the hole where wax ring #2 with the rubber deal goes .   [highlight]Not red hot[/highlight] but just a bit you'll see a "flash" as the release agent they use burns off the toilet/ pot ,[highlight] the glass shouldn't be so hot you can't touch it just warm to the touch . [/highlight]
 Place wax ring #2 wax side to toilet press into the warm glass, tip pot over and slowly press/ wiggle just slighlty as you press the wax rings together ,

WALLLA , a wax ring that shouldn't leak :)

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

That is a hot tip, PEG.  Just the kind of stuff we need here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.