My Dream - Is it feasible or will you laugh too?

Started by MIEDRN, June 14, 2006, 08:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bil2054

In my younger days I worked a season in the King crab industry, and purchased a modest home for cash upon returning to Connecticut.  It is possible to make some serious money up there.
I would make sure there's a per diem included in the contract, because living expenses are high.  (Didn't have to worry about it on the boat; they fed you VERY well, and there was no place to spend it other than the slop chest... cigarettes $2.00/carton; beer $1.00 ea, (limit 2 per day))
The scenery is fabulous unless you're way north in the winter months; then it's mostly dark.

MIEDRN

n74tg - I've been to New Hampshire, AZ, CA, OH and MI traveling. You're right, the pay is fantastic and that's one of the reasons I want to build. I hate to waste this money and to tell you the truth, I've wasted a lot seeing the country (and Mexico) while I was on assignment.

They also take care of my living expenses while on assignment so I'd only need housing while I was between assignments. I've never given Alaska a thought but I might if the package was right.

To tell you the truth, at this point I don't care where I am as long as I make enough to bank for this dream. I paid off the student loans, and I can do this too - I just have to stay out of Starbucks, out of Mexico and the shopping centers! :)

By the way, for others who like Starbucks...Folgers Gourmet coffee tastes amazing like one of their latte's if you make it twice as strong and add whole milk.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I appreciate it. Very good tips and I'll put them to use. Hopefully you'll see my project here this winter!

Amanda_931

Projects tend to go slow.  Especially if it's just you.

Years ago--in the early 80's--one of my neighbor's daughters and her husband drove a big truck.  One way, iron and steel, back, anything they could find to haul, from hazarous waste on.  If they needed a break, they'd come and stay with her parents for a day or two.  after a couple of years of this they were able to buy a small house for cash.  They weren't exactly homeless, but....

My guess is that that would be harder now than then.  But the idea of not paying for housing you aren't using still holds.  Or check out the discussion about temporary housing on one's own land.

MIEDRN

I believe the area that I want to buy has restrictions on living on the land while you build. I lived there once before though and remember a neighbor living in his RV while his house was finished. It was kind of on the sly mind you and his house was finished on the outside.

I remember seeing him leave the RV in the mornings on my way to work...I never understood that restriction but it's lake property and I suppose they want to protect their investments.

Still, the land is cheap for lake access lots and it's not a bad area to live in.

jwv

I too, am an RN and find building an energizing creative outlet when compared to nursing.  It's also somewhat of a solitary endeavor and you can get a lot of thinking done.  Building is physical in a way that differs from nursing; you can kick things, or swing the hammer extra hard a couple of times or make loud noise if the need arises!

You can do it if you want it.  We're on our second building experience-although the first one wasn't entirely motgage free the death pledge was very small.

Here's the current project

I think there's a listing for Rob Roy's book in the Resources area. That will get your juices flowing.

Judy

glenn-k

I checked out your blog, Judy.  The house looks great.  I don't need your weather though-- It's hot enough here. :)

MIEDRN

That's an interesting blog! I had a contract in Lake Havasu, AZ and it was 130 degrees in August. I loved the area though and people are right when they say the heat is dry. It didn't appear as bad as 90 degrees in Michigan. Still hot - just different.

AZ is a nice state and I loved it there. If my family considered moving there, I would in a heart beat. No such luck though.

Bellla

Hi MIEDRN,

We are in a similar situation - we want to build and pay as we go.  We bought property, started fencing and then life happened.  3 years later (after life happend a few more times) we still have the property, the fence is not finished but the dream still lives on.  In the meantime I've gone back to school to prepare for the move to the other side of the mountains so we can be closer to the property and finally do some serious building.  Keep following your dream!

Bellla

MIEDRN

You're a few steps ahead of me Bella and it's encouraging. We'll both keep following our dream and we'll both get there eventually. Feels good to work toward something, doesn't it? Doesn't matter how long it takes although the quicker, the better.

Nutter

No one ever should laugh at anothers dream..

After visiting Rob Roys home a few years back I was sold absolutely on cordwood/stackwall building styles.. His home was toasty warm.. not only in temperature .. its built round.. like a big hug.. some strategically placed logs were shelves.. built in.. holding various momentos.. colored bottles were incorporated within the walls so sunshine coming in cast a rainbow on the opposite wall.. The furnace ran from the basement to roof.. and used so little wood to heat as it was in the center of the house.. and had thick walls to retain heat for hours.. so a morning fire heated all day and well into the night before it needed more.. I will not ever forget the feelings I got from that visit to his wonderful round cordwood home.. with all its little eccentricities.. including a steamroom stackwall built just beside the house.. or a huge sundial out front.. Definately cordwood would be my choice.. and anyone can do it..

Sundial

So Good Luck..
Nut