Skylights and metal roofing

Started by Rusman, October 15, 2006, 03:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusman

:-/ OK...I'm sold on the Victoria's Cottage...love the upstairs lofts and the bumpout  in the kitchen area....and I love all the skylights that the plan calls for. After tons of research I am also sold on metal roofing. I will be building in South Carolina and keeping heat out will be one of my main concerns. I know that I can put in Low E skylights to reduce heat gain, and the openess of the upstarirs will allow great airflow. I would like to install at least 2 skylights that open for ventilation purposes. I am interested in any inormation I can find about installing opening skylights in a metal roof. I see that Velux has special flashing for some models, but it seems like it will run about $450-500 per skylight with the flashing. I bought the plans from the website to build skylights and I plan on trying this for the other skylights. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I gotta admit that I was llike a 9 year old on Christmas morning when the mail man showed up with the blueprints last week I have dreamt of this for 20 years...now it looks like in the next 4 weeks I will have the piers in and be ready to place the beams!

Thanks!
Rus

PEG688

So you want to build the skylight it self ?  :-?

Those velux , or crystal light opening skylight are nice units , the flashing kit is over priced , but if you don't know how to flash a skylight they would be worth the $$ IMO. The kit does what it sez it will and is almost fool proof if the inst. are followed.

If you are on a permit remember any skylight that is over 12' from the floor needs to be laminated glass , not just normal safety glass , as per the IRC 2003.  ;)

G/L, PEG  
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

For curbed skylights the tempered glass fixed units I have plans for work well... but, you have to have someone who knows how to flash the metal roofing.

For opening units you need to get a high-quality commercial unit and pay the big bucks. For a long-term metal roof you have to expect to pay more up front for not having to come back and do it again later.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Humm thats a big skylight , a 2'0x4'0 is $165.00 fixed , a operatable one is about $400.00 . The common one was the type I was talking about , not a green house roof . But if a 20 x40 was to be made on site unless your labor was consided free I don't think a guy could make one for less than $165.00 , just in materials again unless they where free.

How is Seth? You never responded to the Mowie woee thread. Any damage to his compound / place he lives ?
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

John Raabe

PEG: I heard from Seth after the earthquake. He is almost straight across the passage from the the big island - he was probably closer than Hilo to the epicenter. Everyone was certainly startled when it hit and from their higher location they were able to see a rock slide cover the road that leaves Kipahulu and runs down to Kaupo.

No one was hurt.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Shelley

We have three sheet metal guys here.  The best one would make flashing for us that exactly followed the metal roof profile.  

However, in the end, we opted for tubular skylights. We only found one mfg that had a model where the light and the included flashing could be separated.  Then we used the neoprene/lead boots that are common on metal roofs.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

Amanda_931

Which model was that?

I tried to get one in the log room under the barn roof.  I was told that it couldn't possibly be done.  Never, ever, and if someone tried it it would be seriously ugly and probably not work.

(not sure I want to use lead anywhere on that roof--the gutters feed into water tanks)

Shelley

Gosh Amanda, can't remember.  Sun Tube, Solar Tube, something like that. Lost all my book marks in the last thunder storm.   Boxes and instructions gone to the trash.  Do remember that they're made in AZ.  Do remember that we couldn't use anything the big boxes sold and had to get them from a supply house.

Those boots probably aren't lead anymore.  They act like the lead ones in that they're pliable.  I just always call them that 'cause once-upon-a-time they used lead.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

glenn kangiser

Still lots of lead used on the commercial buildings I work on.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.