High Altitude build

Started by Dutch, October 11, 2006, 09:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch

Hello everyone;

Our site is a treed mountainous but suitable for building at 10,000+ ft in Colorado. Other "homes" and cabins are located throughout this area, so building is no problem- it's not that remote. I have two basic questions:

1. Are there any specific building considerations in addition to the code requirements because of the high wind field ? Does anyone have experience with high altitiude construction?

2. Is pier and post a tried and true building method?

thanks;
Dutch

glenn kangiser

Watch out for altitude sickness - thin air up there.  Sounds like a neat place, Dutch.  We spent a bit of time there a few years back.

I'm sure you would have to watch your plumbing there to be able to drian it well.  Sounds like PEX would be a good one for there.  A bit more forgiving of freezes.

Post and pier is used up here in the mountains for building on great slopes.  Longer legs require good bracing.

Here is one that I don't think has enough, but it's still standing.  Only 3000 feet elevation or so here.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

On steep slopes pier foundations are often the only option you have. Drilling and setting piers can sometimes be its own challenge, especially when done from upslope.

Get a trusted and practical engineer involved early on as the load trace and shear bracing is critical, especially as the posts get taller.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Dutch

Thank you... the site is "gently sloping"  and I hope to acclimate before I start lining up truss or it could be a real "rocky mountain nightmare" yikes...!!  
I have the well permit as of May and is valid for 2 years.  

The broad strokes for the homesite, and I'm talking aout loud here,  is say 1,000sqft 1 1/2 story.  I need to maximize views.  Three mountain peaks are viewable.  And I'm open to ideas after that. This would be a vacation home.  

Dutch

Billy Bob

Right on with that acclimatization bit... took me about three weeks to get used to 6500' here in NE Arizona, and still puffing everytime I tie my shoelaces, (but that may have more to do with my "corporate profile" than the altitude :))

Lightning storms seem to be a bit more impressive, if not to say scary, at higher altitudes.  There's a whole lot less stuff that's taller than I am, so I tend to call it quits a bit sooner than I used to at sea level.
Bill

Dutch

Hey- well, yes the altitude is a concern.  I am able to get a chunk of time in the summer months- about 9 weeks- educator... so maybe a week to acclimate?? Do I have to be an instate resident to get an owner builder permit if I live out of the state I build in?

Dutch

John Raabe

I doubt if they check the drivers license  :D

You will want an address of course.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Amanda_931

Every once in a while governments and the like want proof of residence.  Often ask for something addressed to you--they'd prefer a utility bill, but almost anything with your name and a reasonable address is OK.

The next county to the north-east of here does that with their county dump.  Ours doesn't.  Or at least I never got asked, even with Metro Nashville/Davidson county plates on my truck the first year I was here.

Whether they do this probably has something to do with how eager they are to have part-time residents, or incoming retirees.

Dutch

Okay- I'll work on an address- maybe a P.O box?  Or not :o