24'x40' First-Timers in Louisiana

Started by jspalmer, December 27, 2007, 12:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishing_guy

QuoteI've always read and been told that 1/2" goes on walls, but 5/8" goes on ceilings.  Reasoning, I think, is better resistance to heat during a fire.  Since yours is about done, I wouldn't worry about it.
There would be 2 reasons to use 5/8 on the ceilings.  One would be for firecode, and the other would be to span 24" trusses.  1/2" on 16" centers would work just fine, but would sag over time on 24" centers.

QuoteWe're still scratching our heads on having to trim every top wall piece, but my husband has invented a trick that makes it go faster.
He uses a speed square set to 3/4" and holds the utility knife on the edge as he runs it down.   Much, much easier on 12ft long pieces than trying to use a 2x4 straight edge.
We always just used the tape measure to hold the knife where we wanted to cut.  The key to rember, this ain't carpentry (Right PEG?)  As long as you are within 1/4", the tape will cover it in the end.  So anything that'll get you close is good. 
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

williet

We measured, chalk lined and cut....folks don't do it that way anymore? It's been 30 years ago.....

glenn kangiser

I'm with you, Williet.  I use the chalk line quite a bit - I don't do much sheetrock though.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Did you know a chalk line can be used as a plumb bob?

glenn kangiser

Yeah but good point -- probably not everyone does.  Except mine with the broken handle -- can't lock it so it just drops clear to the ground.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fishing_guy

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

williet

Yep...good chalk line and a good framing square was high tec as it usta get. Add a sharp hand saw, a hammer...maybe a folding measuring stick ... and you were ready to go. That was before the sifi look of tools and mega stores like Home Depot and Lowes. House building is a lot like fishing....The days of a cane pole and a worm are gone.

I sure like my modern tool ....just not some of the colors! ??? LOL

glenn kangiser

QuoteCan't beat gravity Glenn  ;)

...as indicated by a myriad of various body parts. [crz]

jspalmer

Wow! I can't believe how long its been since I've posted an update.  Hope no one was holding their breath. Yikes.
We officially moved in our little house July 4th 2008 after 1 1/2 years of construction from the ground up.  Right now we still have to put up crown molding and caulk/paint our baseboard and window/door trim.  We only have a few permanent light fixtures, but those will come along soon enough.  I've honestly been too busy enjoying living in my new home and I forgot to let everyone in on the progress.  So here are some interior almost finished pictures.  These were taken several months ago, so some of the trim etc.. is missing that is actually there now.
I know this is a "country" plans forum, so don't be too critical of my contemporary style.  We actually do live in the country!
Pictures HEREhttp://picasaweb.google.com/suebrina/PalmerHouse?feat=directlink

phalynx

Looks GREAT!  I do like your dinning table  :)  House really does look great though.  You should be proud for sure.