Water hookup question

Started by MikeT, June 09, 2006, 10:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

I now have my building permit and am ready to begin.

I applied for water service and just received a bill for water meter installation.

My question is, what should I do from here with respect to temporary water?

Can I do this myself?

I was billed for a water meter, a meter tail and a meter top?

Thanks.

Amanda_931

Sounds like it's time to go in to the office (might work just as well to call) and say--

Ummm, Uhhhh, help, What am I supposed to do with this, when do I need to do it, does it come before or after the plumbing inspection? should I have my lines already ditch-witched all the way to the house?  do I need a plumber to be on hand when it is installed, etc. etc. etc.  I've never done this before!

Back when--and where--I did some framing, "normal" was having a temporary pole for electricity, but not water.  The mortar guys brought their own.

PEG688

Generally you can run water , power , cable , phone all in one ditch . The power company will have a ditch lay out MTL .

The water people , be they city , county or local water district will set the meter at the road , you or your sub / general contractor will tie in , run the water line to the house or to a stand pipe / spicket.

Combineing all utl. in one ditch saves time and $$

Most places let you turn the meter on , here in my town , the city will fine you $500.00 if you turn it on / off if they catch ya . Even plumber are suppose to call for turn on / off ::)

So like Manda said call and check every place has local rules , made to be broken :-/ :-/ Glenn , what do you think about that?  ;)

Good luck , PEG

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Rules, PEG, ----what rules?  Rules are for prisoners and school children.  

I think I forgot to ask. :-/

Looks like if you got a bill for it they expect you to use it?

I hooked up several of them when I plumbed a small housing development.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Billy Bob

Mike, some of it has to do with timing.  If the meter and the run to the house are in place before the plumbing is finished, you could install a bib valve between two shutoffs.  That way you not only have water available before the final inside connection is made, but also have it available during any future plumbing emergencies, and it can be used as a low point system drain.
 If you will have several contractors working on construction, it's a good idea to put a couple of bibs (spigots) in so they don't have to compete for the one spot. A big renovation I worked at last year had one hose bib in a reall hard to access place under the basement stair.  Every time the plumbing crew had to do something, the whole rest of the system got shut down.  Meanwhile there were masons, landscapers, painters, etc., all trying to do their thing with one hose bib to share,( I put a hose wye connector in so we had a little more capacity, but it wasn't enough. really.)
Bill

glenn kangiser

Another point is behind - on your side of  the meter you can put a full size shutoff valve with a stub sticking out of it, a riser tee with temp or permanent bibs and a cap to continue from later - then you can shut down any time you need to make changes or repairs without disturbing the city water.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Billy Bob

Lol!  Glenn just decribed, in understandable terms, almost exactly what I was trying to describe! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Sometimes I forget folks aren't close enough to see what is rattling around between my ears.

One other thing is, you may need/want a check, or anti-drainback, valve on "your" side of the meter.  I believe most jurisdictions require one anyway, to prevent any possible contamination of the municipal system.
Bill

glenn kangiser

Sorry Billy Bob----- sometimes I have to simplify things so I can understand them. :-/ ;D

Billy Bob

Nah, not at all, Glenn!  I find myself having to back up and go over the steps I left out sometimes.  My brain goes faster than my communication, which at least is maybe better than the other way! [smiley=undecided.gif] [smiley=wink.gif]
Bill

Jimmy C.

QuoteI now have my building permit and am ready to begin.

I applied for water service and just received a bill for water meter installation.

My question is, what should I do from here with respect to temporary water?

Can I do this myself?

I was billed for a water meter, a meter tail and a meter top?

Thanks.

My water company installed my meter last week. It cost me $800.00 for them to locate the line, connect to the main line, and install the meter. After paying that kind of money, you better believe I'm going to start using it as soon as I can!
I called the water company and asked them if it was locked, and if it was not could I turn it on myself.
They told me I was good to go.

The meter had an anti-siphon or backflow valve with 3/4" female fitting already attached.
To start using the water I bought:
1ea. 24"by 3/4" pipe,(this attached to the meter)
1ea. 3/4" tee with 1/2"reducer( I can tie into this later and leave the spigot where it is, but it is kinda close to the road)
1 ea 3/4" end cap
1ea. 24"by 1/2" pipe ( this is the part you see coming out of the ground)
1ea. 90 degree 1/2" coupling
1ea. water spigot.
All of the parts cost me around $20.00 at home depot

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

Billy Bob

Cool beans, Jimmy.  One step closer, eh?
You could leave the stand pipe and use it to water the petunias around the mail box. [smiley=laugh.gif]
Seriously, though, if it isn't in the way, and no freeze danger, it's handy to have one where ya don't have to drag a mile of hose around to do what needs doing.
That renovation job I mentioned, they had a stand pipe exactly like that hidden in a corner of one of the old gardens.  It came in handy for the landscape folks (including moi  [smiley=wink.gif]), for that part of the grounds, and didn't have to wrassle either a hose OR the other subs.
Bill