Wet lot- standing water

Started by mrdety, November 07, 2006, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdety

We have had record rainfall this past week in the Pacific Northwest. My relatively flat .84 acre lot has some standing water in some areas. I was out there recenly with a contractor friend who said that the soil has a high clay content, and suggested that I bring in some sandy fill and regrade to facilitate drainage. I would like to build a house or two on this parcel and prefer to do slab on grade, colored concrete, and hydronic heating, but obviously I cant do this in a puddle.

Does anyone have any advice and/or experiences regarding my situation? The adjacent lot and house is built on fill and sits about four feet higher than me. Love the plans and forum! Thanks

Kodakjello

Hey mrdety,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm building on 2.25 acres across from a huge marsh conservation area. The soil on my land is 12" of jet black top soil over 8 feet of greyish clay. The chalky grey soil indicates a high water table in the spring about 12" below the surface. Most of the year the ground is dry at least 5 feet down but in the spring it rises to just under the surface with some ponding in certain small areas.

My solution was to go up ;) I'm building my house on 12" concrete piers, 3 feet off the ground using John's plans for the pier and beam foundation. This will keep the house away from the moist ground and eliminate any groundwater issues that might arise. I'm using CB88 strongtie brackets in the piers connecting to 4 2x12s PT to create three 8x12 beams that the 24x32 house will sit on.

Since you're in the NorthWest, you won't need to worry about the cold as much as I will here, just south of Ottawa. I think a pier and beam house, properly designed to meet earthquake standards, would be by far the best solution. I am 100% sure it would be easier to maintain a pier house in your climate (and termintes no?) than it would a standard construction house.

Hope this helps,

Shaun

glenn kangiser

I did a big building on expansive clay years ago- I had it engineered - a couple feet of fill then continuous footings down into the clay to seal the clay underneath and stop expansion.  Depends on a lot of factors.  Possibly something floating would work if the ground below is good enough.  It may be wise to consult with a local professional - engineer or architect.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.