Re: Little Log cabin 20X40 1 1/2

Started by chatycady, October 29, 2006, 09:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatycady

We will be putting in a wood stove and also a claw foot tub in our log cottage and were wondering if we need to re-inforce the floor. The I-Beams are 16" oc and span the width of the cabin.... around 19'. They are within the required limitations as we used t&g sturdifloor, glued and screwed down.

If we need to re-enforce the floor, will it be blocking between the joists? The full length, span of the joists? Anyone with suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
chaty
There is no trying, only doing!

glenn kangiser

Just making a guess here, Chaty, but I don't see either of them seriously exceeding the live load of the area they cover, so I would assume that you might only need to reinforce the areas where there will be point loads such as reinforcing under the points where the claw feet will contact the floor.  Similar for the stove if its a heavy one.

In reality, with the strength of the floor you have built including glued and screwed down, I don't see how there could be much problem.

Possibly others will know more about this.  Probably PEG -- he has experience in everything having to do with building. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

You can block between the I-joists and, if you want, reinforce the webs of the I-joists with 2x material. Doing both in the area immediately under the tub would provide insurance against a bit of flexing in that area. This might be important if you will do tile flooring.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

chatycady

There is no trying, only doing!