latex or oil on t1- 11?

Started by Leo, May 01, 2006, 09:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cecilia

Hi Glenn

The floor was the only part in the photos that we didn't do ourselves. It was T & G boards (remachined salvaged structural timbers from an old Melbourne building). We needed to get the floor down as quick as possible to continue with the upstairs wall linings, so we got back the man who had put up the main frame of the house. He had a wonderful secret nailer - amazing to see how fast he and his offsider were able to work. It only took them two and a half days to complete the floor in four rooms and the passageways.

Then we were able to embark on our mission to evict the resident possum!

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

peg_688

How about a better shot of the benchs that go with the Blackwood tops , and a little more info on what Blackwood is , that is some stunning wood grain / color 8-) 8-)

Seems a lot of your timbers/ woods  are stunning  :o  I'm sort of jealous.

Are they native to the land of Oz?

Very nice timber 8-)

Thanks , PEG 

peg_688

Found this :

Blackwood

The Blackwood Tree (Acacia melanoxylon)
The Australian Blackwood tree is usually found as an understory tree in large eucalypt forests where rainfall is 750 - 1800 mm annually.

It can be a fine, erect tree 25-30 m high but is more often 16m or less with a trunk 30-100 cm in diameter. The branches begin well down the trunk, are horizontal or slightly pendulous, and culminate in a dense rounded crown, the overall effect being very handsome (*1).

Blackwood is almost a twin with Hawian Koa and is rapidly gaining recognition as one of the great guitar woods of the world.

Link :  http://www.noyceguitars.com/Technotes/Articles/T1.html

would this be it??

What would your cost per board foot be ??

Thanks , PEG  

cecilia

Ask and you shall receive PEG!

Here's a photo of the kitchen blackwood benchtop

I haven't taken any really good photos of these benches as I'm waiting for Jonni to make the cupboard door. He was measuring the hole today, so perhaps it's not too far away.

Here's another blackwood benchtop

This one is in the main bathroom.

All the blackwood used for the benchtops is recycled. We did have trouble finding enough for the kitchen ones as we needed a few quite long lengths. But with Jonni's trusty biscuit joiner he made a pretty good job of patching all the pieces together.

Just about all the timbers used in the house are salvaged, recycled or re-machined. Part of the brief we wrote for ourselves was to use only sustainable timbers and also to use as little energy in the building of the house. So we've began looking for everything as close to home as possible.

Blackwood is a local species of acacia and as well as quite a few pretty large ones growing in our garden, I am constantly pulling up the seedlings so we don't become totally over run with them.

cecilia
www.duckpond-design.com.au/theduckpond

glenn-k

That is really nice Cecilia.  You and Jonnni are doing such a great job in making the entire house a beautiful place.  Thanks for the pictures.  

jraabe

Very clean and handsome - the wood and tile are a very compatable combination.

Amanda_931

The acacias--Koa and black-wood are such lovely woods.

Hal Nash(Guest)

I used Log Home Oil brand and I think it was called Golden Honey.  It's lasted a good time, but this year I will have to re-stain the west end of my cabin where it gets the intense UV exposure at 8000 feet.  I'd recommend it.  I sprayed it on with a simple pump-up sprayer then brushed it out.

Best wishes.

jonseyhay

Hi Pegg,
If you go to the links page on Cecilia's web page you will see some links to the timbers available down here. The messmate I have used runs at around $1700au a cubic meter slabbed. Hardwoods cost an arm and a leg down here. ;D