ski cabin in central cascades

Started by metolent, December 03, 2010, 12:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajbremer

Your external sidewalls that comes down from the 4:12 pitch and touch the 12:12 pitch, they seem
to line up with the outer edge of the stairway below, is that correct? That would put your interior
wall about 2' from where the pitch change is? What's the proper term for those external walls that
fall from the higher pitch to the lower one?
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

metolent

Yes, the walls from the 4/12 pitch that die into the 12/12 pitch on the front side line up with the outer edge of the stairs.  But that is approximately 38" - 39" from the interior wall.  I've built my cabin to code as everything required inspection - so my stairs are code-compliant.  I made them a touch over the minimum to make getting things up and down a bit easier, giving me a true 36" between the finished interior wall and the balusters/hand rail (instead of the minimum which I believe is ~32").  The real catch was ensuring I had the required head room at the first few steps at the transition between the pitches. 

Proper term?   I dunno if they have a special name...  Maybe PEG, Don_P or some else on here might...   

ajbremer

The proper term for the external wall that goes down from the roof, between pitches is a  cheek-wall.
Click here to see our 20x30 and here to see our 14x24.

metolent

Cheek wall - thanks for the insight ajbremer!

Got a few more things done.  Amazingly, after almost 700 8' 1x6 cedar boards (2 full units), I'm almost out.  And by out, I mean I'm down to cull wood, which I'll cut up to use as kindling.  So I need to pick up more, but I did manage to get nearly all of the loft/master bath windows trimmed out.  Just a few more pieces to go on the rectangular windows, then I have to tackle the angled windows up front as I'm leaving those to last.  Also got the one interior door we currently have trimmed out.  I'm using 2-panel clear fir doors, but the place I get them from is out, so we haven't been able to bring up any more yet.  Naturally I didn't get pictures of any of this.   d*  The damn cat decided to crawl down into one of our ducts (the only one without a register) to hide ...which we didn't realize until we were leaving on Sunday evening!  Argh!!! Anyway, I'll make a point of taking pictures this weekend.  However, we also got the backsplash tiles up and the wife took a picture of the part between the range hood/vent and over the stove.  So, finally a pic to share.  It still needs to be grouted, but we were anxious to see how it would look.  You can see one of the under cabinet lights on the right - still have to put in the one on the left.  We went with LED which should last a long time, don't get hot, and are pretty efficient. 

considerations

"The damn cat decided to crawl down into one of our ducts (the only one without a register) to hide"

Ah yes the curiosity of our furry friends! 

I really like the way your upstairs dormer turned out, great work!

metolent

Well, I haven't posted here in a long time, but there's been a lot going on so I thought I'd resurrect this thread... 

During the remainder of the ski season we continued splitting our weekend time between skiing and finishing the cabin.  In March, we had "most" of it done and called for our final inspection, even though a lot was left ... most significantly that I didn't have the front deck on yet.  If I just had windows on the front or I wanted to board up the french doors, it wouldn't have been a problem, but I didn't want to do that. Plus I didn't want to spend time building stairs down when I was just going to rip them out.  So, we didn't pass our final inspection, but it was good because we got a list of things that the county inspector wanted to see done before the "real" final.  The list was pretty short: 1) build front deck, 2) install baseboard in bathrooms, 3) put up screen/rodent protection under the mud room, 4) add some shaped handrails on the 1x4 handrails that are part of the steps leading up to the front porch 4) caulk around the base of the toilets.  He also wanted to see a proper door between the master bedroom and bath.  He's a really helpful and friendly guy and said there you go, take your time and see you in 6 months! 

Since then we've done almost everything, except for the rodent screening and I have things left to do by the deck, namely add a step between the main deck and the driveway, finish a side deck I decided to add on for the bbq grill and step leading down to the firewood pile over on the other side of the main deck, and add an integrated flower/plant box.   The deck was a bigger ordeal that we originally planned given I had planned for an 8' deep deck (and ~28' wide - full width of the cabin) and the wife decided she wanted a 10' deep deck.  So, after a bunch of digging, we have a 10' deep, full-width deck and I'm glad we do.  I also finally finished installing all of the interior doors and related trim....and amazingly that completes all of the trim for the entire cabin!  We did tile baseboards in the bath rooms and we finished that this weekend as well.  Now that summer came a few weeks ago, it's finally dry enough to paint the exterior, we are hot on getting that done before the rain returns again.  We missed our opportunity to do so last year.  Finally, we also expanded the driveway with probably 30 cubic yards of gravel and some creative boulder placement to make it a bit closer to level and then added a fire pit that we are slowly collecting rocks for from the National Forest (we have a permit).  I have them dry-stacked for now, but plan to mortar them at some point. 

Anyway, we are finally starting to really enjoy the cabin now that we aren't working so hard just to get things operational and it's great.  Even though we did work some every day Friday - Sunday this weekend, we still managed to get down to the river for swimming 2 of 3 days (yes, the melting snowpack makes the Cowlitz River cold - we measured it at 54 degrees) and up to Paradise at Mt Rainier for our annual August snowball fight and hike.  That's what this place is all about....  While I've been terribly remiss in taking pictures over the last 6 months, and I'll get more on the next trip, here are a few ...

Deck going in...

Final load of 5/8" crushed for the driveway, path to fire pit, and fire pit.  Fortunately, this was the only one that we moved by hand. 

Finished deck (It's 2x6 cedar and hasn't been sealed yet and has faded already, but figure the pressure washer will bring it back when I seal it later this month) and main siding color.  Trim and doors will be done on the next trip....