A modest proposal for fixing government

Started by cbc58, February 06, 2008, 05:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

There appear to be some level headed folks here and I'd like to see what you think about a "concept" I've been formulating for fixing government... at all levels.   Hopefully I'm not crazy.  :-)   

First let me start by saying that I don't trust any politician as far as I can throw them.  I've been through enough election cycles to know that a candidate says and does what they do to get into office. 

We all know the system is broken and that it seems an almost impossible task to do anything about it.  Some argue (and rightfully so) that we should just let everything implode and start over.  That scenario is scary but possible.  But perhaps there is another solution that we, the people, can mandate and make something happen this time around in November.   I am calling it "Reform2008"  (www.Reform2008.com)

The basic concept is this:  put people into office that pledge to reform the system and that will make the hard decisions that we so desperatly need.   This is not about one party or the other... it is about putting the right people in office that will actually address the big issues.   There are issues that trancend parties and candidates.

We are a nation of laws.  In order to change the system we have to change the laws.  In order to change the laws we have to change the lawmakers.  That is what Reform2008 is all about... uniting voters to identify and back candidates that will change the laws... once and for all.

That sounds nice but "how do we know what they will do once they get into office"?  My concept is to tell them what they will do ahead of time... in writing... and have them pledge to make the changes or they agree to be immediately removed from office.  So, we as a people, select 4 or 5 key issues that must be addressed come November and draft the changes to the laws we want them to pass.  You want our vote.... you pledge and commit to the changes.  We get some past politicians who have advocated fixing the system to help us draft the proposed laws and then get voters to approve them before the election.   

2008 is a critical election year since it is not only a presidential election, but major congressional and sentate election.... not to mention judges and state and local races.

Since we are all into building here... I'd like to see what you think of this concept and if it has merit.. get some suggestions for tackling the problem and create a blueprint for construction.  I am not an architect or engineer ... just a DIY builder.  Your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Chris

tanya

Well that idea could work maybe if honest people were involved.... honest being the key word.  There is a common misconception that the govt. runs the country but the reality is that the American consumer runs the country adn in fact the world, if you don't like politics or the corporate way things are going then it is wise to stop supporting it through spending.  Once the politicians shenanigans no longer work to build corporate and personal profits then govt. will change.  Just remember it is always about the money.  I would like to see the folks running for president today answer some big questions like What if any involvment did they have in those back door oil for food deals with Iraq that were taking place during US sanctions against that country... I suspect those deals funded the insurgents and terrorists and I suspect there are some pretty powerful people who need to be held accountable... I suspect high treason.  Second I would like to know who the Children's Defense Fund likes for best candidate...Hillary C states her involvement withthat organization often and I have done a great deal of research on poverty and used their reports as resources often so I would value an opinion there.  And I would like to know more about Obama and his relative Dick Cheney and jsut how distant that relationshiop is... Because I am definately voting democrat but I can't choose between the lesser of two evils and I have to vote by the end of the week.  One thing I heard on CNN last night is that the poorest of the poor are voting for Hillary and I am leaning tht direction even thought he Grateful Dead has endorsed Obama, the reason why... Well one thing I do know for sure is that if the poorest of the poor are doing well then the rest of the country are going to do pretty darn good and when Hillary was presedent last time the economy was pretty good.  See I don't believe Bill was ever the power behind the suit. 
Peresrverance, persistance and passion, keys to the good life.

ScottA

The problem we have is the thing has gotten too big. Too many different people with their own agendas competing for the same pie. This leads to lots of back room deals for things that only help small groups of people and the nation as a whole gets to pay for it. Defence is a prime example of this. We complain about how much is spent on defence but you can't really expect any congressman to step forward and be the first to kill jobs in his district. Defence is so integrated into the economy that cuts are felt back home quickly. People tend to react to harshly to lost jobs. Another fact people overlook is that our prosperity as a nation can be directly linked to our military actions over the last 60 or so years.

We have cheap goods because we import from nations that we have kept poor on purpose. Most so called foreign aid goes to keep these poor countries working at slave wages for american consumers by bribing their governments to do our bidding. We are insuring oil stays available by controlling it with military force. No one wants to think about these things but the fact is we prosper when others suffer. Now things are starting to change. The poor nations are starting to get some wealth from their sales to us and are begining to demand a larger share. Globalization will eventually even things out for everyone but this means we will lose something so they can gain. It's common sence, there's only so much to go around so we must give up some of our prosperity if China and india are to gain.

Don't like the sound of losing prosperity? Well then you can support a military policy that keeps us on the winning side. That's what we have now and have had for the last 60 years. Personaly I think we could get by with alot less and still be happy as a people. It would take a major rethinking of consumerism but it could be done. Add to that a return to State government from federal so people actualy have some voice again.

Wishful thinking....

cbc58

I agree.  Too many people operate on their own agendas in Washington and the special interests are entrenched.  No one wants to make the hard decisions because it won't get them re-elected and they enjoy the perks of office.

I have looked at this problem extensively and it all comes down to laws.   You get the special interests in there creating loopholes for themselves while the rest of the country pays and no one is the wiser.  I personally would like to see a new division setup that goes and recoups taxpayers dollars, finds the missing billions and siezes the assets from companies that have robbed the system. 

But this all has to start somewhere and it is by getting people into office that will make the changes.  We generally don't know what they will do when they take office..... which is why I propose we give them marching papers.  Here - this is what you do - now do it.  Everybody knows ahead of time what the outcome will be and they can vote accordingly.  What a refreshing idea... kind of reverse government where the people make the decisions and the elected officials are just there to confirm the vote.

There are 4 or 5 major issues that can be addressed in this manner which transcend political party and affiliation.  If we don't take care of them now then the US will be the next Japan or Russia economic meltdown.... if its already not to late. 

StinkerBell

Hire 11 homemakers for a one year term. They can not be rehired for the following year (in theory they wont be needed).
I think 11 homemakers who know how to cut the pork out and what is really important can do the job.

glenn kangiser

...also ...I think they should all have PMS.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

StinkerBell

glenn kangiser

He could but not normally thought of as one.  Women make a home -- men live in it. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cbc58

In all seriousness... what can be done to fix things?

StinkerBell

I have always thought that this country would experience another civil war in my life time.

glenn kangiser

Complete collapse.

When the dollar is worth nothing, the elite will be out of something to steal - except gold, silver - etc.  Our government does not control the direction of the US.  They only implement policy so the looters can transfer dollars from taxpayers to their pockets.  Federal reserve prints worthless paper money that causes inflation.  Our government buys the worthless paper money and we  are stuck with paying interest on it.  Doubling our taxes still would not pay the interest.  The Federal Reserve is a private central bank.  There are 12 across our nation.  They are privately owned and the profits  go to the owners.  Not the US Treasury. 

If Congress printed the money, the people would have to approve it and we wouldn't have to pay interest on the money.  Congress and and the President would not be able to have unlimited spending as the people likely would not approve most of it for their wars.  Big business profits immensely from the wars.  Our leaders profit from big business.  Unlimited money allows them to conduct unlimited wars.  Unlimited wars translate to unlimited profit.

Quote"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them, will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

"The system of banking [is] a blot left in all our Constitutions, which, if not covered, will end in their destruction... I sincerely believe that banking institutions are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity... is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the Government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."
- Thomas Jefferson

Thanks to Sassy for keeping this stuff straight.

cbc58

I am aware of this but most people are not.

Here are a couple of questions:

- If the FED is shut down, can we go after the assets of the prior owners?
- If a new dollar is created... are we obligated to pay back on federal debt backed by fed notes?

Sassy

I think we should try them all for treason & confiscate their assets!  Kinda like they did to the Liberty Dollar company - they confiscated all the gold & silver reserves & all coins - all the people who had ordered & paid for their coins were left hanging out to dry!  >:(  The private central bank is illegal according to the Constitution...  it was passed by deception...  they are raping the American people...  the voluntary IRS tax that we are bludgeoned to pay under duress & threat of imprisonment & confiscation of all properties is also highly suspect...  and in spite of all the billions of $$$$$ the gov't extorts from us, it only goes to partially pay down the interest accrued by having the private Federal Reserve bank print worthless paper money with no backing but that they can turn around & consider each billion $$ they print with nothing backing it as 10 billion $$ in assets & loan it out at even more interest  [shocked]- now if that ain't crooked, I don't know what is!  >:( >:(
I say, get that fresh rope out...   c*  heh
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

cbc58

glenn kangiser

Might I point out that since they are terrorizing the American citizens, then under the Patriot Act, I do not believe a trial for them is required.  They are guilty of domestic terrorism, so need no representation.

cbc, it is my belief that not just the FED, but the Federal government would also have to be dismantled as, if any attempt is made to straighten things out, get the assets of the FED owners, etc. the Federal government would declare martial law and use the police state (jack booted thugs) to protect their interests against the people.  Bush has enhanced all his powers with executive signing orders (not constitutionally legal - they bypass the judicial and legislative branchs of gov).  All he has to do is say the word.  Gulags are in place or under contract from Haliburton - by their admisson.

QuoteIf a new dollar is created... are we obligated to pay back on federal debt backed by fed notes?

That depends on if they are left in power over us.  If they are all removed and their assets seized, the only ones to pay back would be the ones who stole it from us.  I feel no obligation to pay back the mob. 

Liberty Dollar -- last I heard it was shut down and their assets confiscated.

glenn kangiser

Looks like they are working on it.  Quote from link below.

FLASH: I am pleased to announce that we are in discussions with a noted attorney in Boise, Idaho to secure the return of the material seized by the FBI at Sunshine Mint, Fulfillment office in Evansville, printers in California and material in Asheville, North Carolina. We will announce this development asap.

Please note it now appears that we will pursue a Class Action Lawsuit. If you have any paper certificates or digital Liberty Dollars you were damaged. Please sign up for the Class Action Lawsuit at: http://www.libertydollar.org/classaction/index.php. This will also entitle you to be a Liberty Associate for FREE when we move up to the new $50 Silver Base.

http://www.libertydollar.org/ld/legal/raid.htm

cbc58

o.k.  -- so how do we fix things? 

The US is like an aircraft carrier and can't be turned on a dime.  I am focusing on the 2008 election because of all the seats up for grabs.

Ideally what I'd like to see is a concrete list of issues to be addressed and the actual proposed legislation that will affect those issues created before the election

In other words, this movement (Reform2008) researches the problems and drafts the changes and presents them to the American people for their approval.  Once concencus is reached then candidates either commit to the changes or don't.... and if they don't... then they don't get our vote.  At the very least it brings the realities of the issues to light and increases pressure for reforms.

I don't know what to do but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd like to hear them.  We can sit here all day saying how screwed up things are but in the end they will stay that way or get worse if we don't do something about them.

Sassy

DIEBOLD VOTING MACHINE KEY COPIED FROM PHOTO AT COMPANY'S OWN ONLINE STORE!
Princeton University Computer Scientists Confirm 'Secret' Key For Every Diebold Voting Machine 'Revealed' on Company Website!
[UPDATED THRICE] Shutting the Barn Door After Horse Has Left: Diebold Removes Photo, PLUS: Receives Certification for U.S. Homeland Security Contracts...NOW BAIT & SWITCH: Diebold Puts Digital Key Online Where Mechanical Key Was Previously!

Ed Note: Several important updates now added to the end of the story...

Good lord in heaven. How dumb are these guys at Diebold?! Can you believe the United States has actually entrusted them to build a security system for the original U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights?!

After everything else... now comes this.

It was revealed in the course of last summer's landmark virus hack of a Diebold touch-screen voting system at Princeton University that, incredibly, the company uses the same key to open every machine. It's also an easy key to buy at any office supply store since it's used for filing cabinets and hotel mini-bars! That is, if you're not a poll worker who already has one from the last time you worked on an election (anybody listening down there in San Diego?).  con't at link
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=4066

The "Reform 2008" website looks like a good plan in theory, but when even the voting machines are manipulated - for instance, in New York state Ron Paul wasn't even listed as one of the candidates at one of the primary sites... I'll have to find the link...

glenn kangiser

Complete collapse will still be required.  They control the vote also, if not through vote fraud and voting machine tampering, then through choices presented. 

The question is not which politician when voted in, will fix the problem.  It is which rotten apple do you want.  Rotten apple A, rotten apple B, or rotten apple c.

Ron Paul may be one good apple in a box of rotten apples but without good apples to work with he may not last long -- if he is even recognized.

It is a great idea, cbc, but the American people can't even agree that there is a problem.

glenn kangiser

The first thing is to fix the vote if that is the avenue you want to pursue.  Fix it so that it cannot be tampered with.  Probably an impossible task.  Without an honest vote, all attempts at correction and reform are for nothing.

Sassy

Chris, here's a good site you might be interested in - they have several suggestions in their latest newsletter...
D o w n s i z e r - D i s p a t c h There are many reasons to downsize DC. A big one, quite simply, is that Big Government hurts the economy:

* Most government regulations do not achieve their intended purpose of protecting workers and consumers, but only create unemployment and higher prices.

* Deficit spending causes monetary inflation, and worker's wages do not keep pace with higher prices.

* Complicated tax laws are grossly inefficient, draining the economy of hundreds of billions in filing costs.

* Income taxes make it harder for families to save, and for businesses to expand.

* Every dollar the government wastes is one dollar stolen from the private sector, from the people. For example,the cost of one military helicopter used in an unnecessary war is equivalent to that of 400 cars or 10,000 laptops.

Government is not capable of managing the economy. Its options are mis-managing the economy, or leaving it alone. This means that a real economic stimulus bill would reduce the government's role in the economy. It would:

* repeal counter-productive regulations.

* attack inflation by curbing the government's ability to borrow and print money.

* simplify the tax codes and cut tax rates.

* cut wasteful spending.

Last week, the House passed the 22-page H.R. 5140 just one day after it was introduced. This "economic stimulus" bill is a fraud:

* Instead of regulatory reform that would attract business to America and increase employment, it gives businesses some very temporary tax breaks that won't help them in the long term.

* Instead of attacking inflation, it makes inflation worse by borrowing still more money, and counts on a temporary spending spree this summer to revive the economy. Yet the artificially-created demand will likely cause prices to rise even higher.

* Instead of genuine tax relief and tax reform that will make the economy more productive, the people will receive a one-time handout that increases the national debt, raises the inflation tax, and increases the debt burden on future generations.

*  No spending cuts will offset the cost of the package.

You may disagree, and believe this package will at least be a stop-gap that prevents the recession from getting worse. Even so, should a bill that adds $150 billion to the national debt be introduced and passed in just 24 hours? Shouldn't committees study it, and shouldn't the people have a chance to read it and contact Congress with their opinions?

There have been signs of a looming recession for several months - arguably, years - and Congress had all this time to prevent it. Instead, it waited until the last minute to ram through a short-sighted "emergency" bill. That's the way Congress works. And that's why we need the Read the Bills Act.

The Read the Bills Act would not just require Congress to read the bills they pass, it would also require that bills be posted on the Internet for seven days before a final vote is taken. This would give both Congress and the people time to study bills carefully before the vote. If a $150 billion borrow-and-spend bill troubles you, you would have the chance to let Congress know. They wouldn't be able to pass it in a day.

There are  no exceptions for "emergency" bills under RTBA, which means Congress could no longer wait until the last minute to "do something." They would instead have to plan ahead. With planning and feedback from the people, they are more likely to write better bills.

Please tell Congress that you object to the $150 billion the House spent in haste. Tell them that they had several months to produce a thoughtful stimulus package. And tell them they would govern better if they passed the Read the Bills Act. You can do so here.

Also, please consider adding your blog or website to the Read the Bills Act Coalition. This will spread the word about the RTBA, and you'll get a link on our blog and a mention in a Downsizer-Dispatch. Details are here.

This week, we welcome two new members to the Coalition:

Pursuit of Liberty
MPAssetProtection.com
Rich Vermillion

As further ammunition for the Read the Bills Act, we keep tract of the number and length of the bills Congress passes. Although it met for relatively few days in January, the House managed to pass 19 bills totaling 815 pages. The Senate spent most of its time in debate, but passed 3 bills totaling 607 pages. You can see the list of bills at the bottom of the blog version of this Dispatch.

Thank you for being a DC Downsizer.

James Wilson
Assistant to the President
DownsizeDC.org    http://www.downsizedc.org

cbc58

ScottA

The fox is in the hen house folks. The only solution is to kill the fox. After that slowly print the money to pay off the debt. At the same time force banks to raise cash reserves which would pull an equal amount of money out of circulation. End result...debt paid off, no undue inflation. Build a fox proof fence and post guards on the perimeter.

glenn kangiser

Here is an article from Iraq War ru.

Don't expect to have your ears tickled -- the people of the world don't all love us as we think they do.  Most of these people are intellectuals.  Iranian-Shiite gets into studying our monetary system and how it got the way it is.  Syrian brings in more inf.  I popped in with a comment.  Nearly all seems factual and correct with old issues I had forgotten or not known brought to the surface.

Rated "PG 13" for occasional profanity-and non-P/C.  The information I am talking about is not the article-- it is the discussion afterward.  I can pretty well guarantee for those interested, it's a good read.  I don't know the countries of all of the contributers but they are from all over the world with some obviously from the middle east.

Funny they would care to try to understand what we do not understand ourselves.

http://iraqwar.mirror-world.ru/article/155640

Great information on how we got where we are today.

cbc58

So back to my original question... how do we fix the system?

Looking at it like a demolision/remodeling/construction project ... what are the steps?