Re: Temporary cover question

Started by JRR, July 24, 2006, 08:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRR

If you decide to install the felt, I would recommend you glue down all the edges with a generous bead of roofing sealant/glue.  This will help resist the wind tearing the felt loose.  I like the PL brand, in caulk tubes, available at Home Depot.

( I no longer use nails very much ... just sealant/glue mostly.  But this take a bit of learning to handle.  And the weather has to be favorable ... warm, dry. )

John Raabe

Felt (either 15#, or better - 30#) will last longer exposed to UV. It is not as good an air barrier as housewrap but a superior drainage plane material.

Our little 10x14 cabin is going on its 6th year with just tarpaper siding. I know, it's embarrasing  :-[. It's kind of become a test now to see how long I can get away with it. Things are still bone dry inside. A few of the edges have curled and some of the staple holes have opened up some, but that's it.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Regarding the tarpaper siding ----- I'm proud of you, John. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Pala

There are several Tyvek sided houses in my town  ;) and from the looks of it, you'll get many many enjoyable years out of your "Miracle of Science", endorsed by NASCAR, FedEx envelope.  If your site is exposed to a lot of wind, TYVEK would have essentially no loose edges to tear up.  A roll of USPS Express Mail tape costs about 1/4 of what a roll of official TYVEK tape costs.  One seems to work as well as the other.  Tar paper, on the other hand, you might lose a whole wall if it started to lift up at an edge.

Wanderin

QuoteFelt (either 15#, or better - 30#) will last longer exposed to UV. It is not as good an air barrier as housewrap but a superior drainage plane material.

Our little 10x14 cabin is going on its 6th year with just tarpaper siding. I know, it's embarrasing  :-[. It's kind of become a test now to see how long I can get away with it. Things are still bone dry inside. A few of the edges have curled and some of the staple holes have opened up some, but that's it.

Add some diagonal furring stips across the main body of the felt and along any exposed edges, my dads shed is going on 15yrs with the original tarpaper and it dosnt look a day older than 5yrs ;D