The Pelicans Are Back

Started by sparks, March 31, 2008, 11:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

For about the last five years these birds have migrated to the pool behind the dam I live on. (approx. 6000 acres). The food supply must be good here. Someone told me they might come from as far away as Utah?....or California.

My guess is the largest wingspan has been about six feet. Hard to tell at a distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:White_pelican02_-_natures_pics.jpg

When they show up en force there are hundreds if not thousands of them. They use a herding effect to snare the fish. Do it in rows, just like soldiers marching, each row taking its turn feeding.

Wished I knew how to post a video.....they're fascinating to watch.

OOPS.....PIC coutesy of wikipedia....BTW I live in NW IL.................. d*
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

MountainDon

Well, Sparks, do you know how to post a still image? Have a photobucket account?

If so posting a video is the same as posting a still umage, but you select the video tab on the upload page instead of using the default still image setting.

Photobucket Tutorial is HERE. Just look for the video tab on the upload page.

Questions? just ask.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

sparks

Mtn Dn,  I believe some new toys are in order.  ;)  How 'bout them pelicans....magnificent birds.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

John_C

The mention of Pelicans reminds me of photographing the bird life at Mrazek pond in Everglades NP.  The pond has an interesting eco-cycle.

During dry weather the pond become quite small, perhaps a couple acres, and shallow with few to no fish but an abundance of organic matter, insects and small reptiles.  After a wet spell as the water level of the Everglades rises it become joined with Florida Bay allowing numerous small fish to enter and feed.  As the water level drops the pond closes entrapping the fish.  When the water level falls sufficiently the long legged wading birds come in in great numbers to feed. The Great Blue Herons and Storks are first, then egrets and smaller green herons.  The Pelicans are last. When the water is shallow enough they make long runs across the pond scooping up fish as they fly.  In a short time the fish are gone and it's all over until the water levels rise again.

When the event is happening there can be hundreds to thousands of birds and seemingly as many photographers.  In the right conditions may only occur every year or two and last but a few weeks. It's a fascinating sight when it's going on.

Ndrmyr

Sparks,

Amazing.  Crossed the Pecatonica river this weekend and saw seagulls sitting in the backwater. Apparantly there is a housing crunch for various aquatic birds and they feel the need to expand to N. Illinois OR.....they have developed a taste for CORN!

"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."