bci5000 40' cut in half instead of suggested ijoists

Started by prohomesteader, August 06, 2008, 11:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prohomesteader

I'm calling around and pricing ijoists

the average price for a TJI-360 or GPI-40 at 20' is $55 dollars

HOWEVER

84 lumber has bci5000 ijoists that span 40 foot that would cut the price for the joists almost in half.  they said they could cut them in half for me.  the price per bci5000 40' is only $64

my question, could I use the bci5000 40' ijoist cut in half in place of the tji-360 or gpi-40?

Here's a pdf file with some info on the joist

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:gjLBEuUQRrUJ:https://www.bc.com/dms/wood/ewp/3_Guide_Resources/Tech_notes/IJoist/IJ-9-BCI-Header-Table/IJ-9%2520BCI%2520Header%2520Table.pdf+site:www.bc.com+bci+5000&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a

thanks much

John Raabe

The chart you linked to was for header spans. I don't know this product but was able to find this PDF table..

www.woodpoles.com/root/dept/vallejo/ewp_ijoist-comparison-table.pdf

If you used the deeper version (see the 11 7/8" comparison table) it appears that that a BCI-5000 will span 21' (as a floor joist) when spaced 16" o/c. That would work fine. Check and see if they want any bridging between the joists.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

prohomesteader

AWESOME!

that pdf appears to be the correct one, and yes, I was thinking of ordering the 11 and 7/8th inch ones, and that's the one the price is good for

will for sure ask if they require bridges

at 16 on centers I'll need to order 23 of them I think

30x12=360"
360"/16"=22.5

should save me a few hundred dollars using these  [cool]

MarkAndDebbie

Think about your plumbing before you order the i-joists - you may want an extra (and they may want to sell you the even number). We added an extra so they wouldn't be in the way of the drains (we too are building the 1.5 story but extened to 32' to make it "even" giving us 26). If you run a tub parallel to the joist you may want another for support. Check out both of these things in the George Nash book.
-Mark

mvk

Don't you need a extra anyway or have I been away from framing for that long ???
Mike

John Raabe

Get a couple of extras. Yes, you need to cover both sides of the first 16" space. Then one each for the rest.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

prohomesteader

thanks all for the suggestion

will order 28 then to be on the safe side..