Lot with power, septic, and water - build or MH?

Started by Birgid, October 03, 2006, 11:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birgid

Hello, everyone.  Very glad to have found this board.
 We are a family of 4 with limited means but we found we've acquired a lot, a bit less than 2 acres.
 It's very, very nice.
 Already has power, septic, and a well.
 Lots of trees and it has previously had a mobile home on it.
 There are several different places we could put something or built it.
 It's level in the front 2/3 of the lot and the back slopes down a bit and there's a larger clearing where it slopes.
 Anyway, I"m wondering how it would compare cost-wise between finding a used mobile home, and trying to built something.
 Time is definitely a factor, we're living in a small rental right now that I'm anxious to get out of.
 So I guess I've sortof answered my own question here, I was going to ask for advice about whether we should attempt something as large-scale as trying to build our own home or move a MH onto the lot.
 I've never built anything and neither has hubby, we have no tools, no truck.

But anyway, if you have any further thoughts please share.

I"m wondering about seeing how much it would cost to have some dirt put in the back clearing and setting a MH in there - it would be much, much more private - you wouldn't even be able to see the MH from the road if you did that.  I just don't know what it would cost.  An extra couple thousand would be worth it for that though because we're planning on this being permanent.

glenn kangiser

One thing to keep in mind if moving away from the original site is that the sewer line has to slope 1/4 inch per foot to the septic tank.  There could be a pump option but you probably don't want that.

Welcome to the forum. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Miedrn

Welcome Birgid! Congratulations on getting your land! I can imagine the feeling and it sounds like you have a nice lot.

I have a few ideas for you. If not your cup of tea, it might encourage brainstorming.

Why not do both? There are families on this forum who are living in a MH temporarily while they build.

One option is to look for a MH that would fit on the current pad. They can frequently be found cheap if not free. Keep in mind that MH's are difficult to dispose of when you're finished with it but it's one reason you may be able to find one free - if you move it. That option would get you away from paying rent and you would have more money to build with. It's an option I've considered.

Another option (if you have few codes) is to build a small cabin and live in it while building your homestead. John's Enchilada plans would fit the bill and you could add on as funds permit.

Another option is to buy an RV to live in temporarily if your regulations permit. These can sometimes be found cheap also but may not be the luxury type.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Good luck to you. I'm sure others here will have more options for you. They're a helpful bunch!

Birgid

Thanks for the reply.  I'm happy to have your thoughts ~ I"m very big on brainstorming.
 Actually, something to live in while we set up house (or build), really isn't an issue - we have
a rental home right now.
 As I said, it's pretty small - but it's much bigger than a RV would be.  We're only about a
couple miles from the lot.
 I'm eager to get out of this place, but OTOH it wouldn't make much sense to build an even
smaller place to move to while we build or whatever......this isn't that bad.

Anyway, right now I'm leaning towards a mobile.
 Just for the fact that you move it onto the lot, hook it up, and presto, you're ready to
live in it.
 Building a house would be a very long affair and winter is coming.
 We don't have the $$$ to build a home with.
 I guess a mobile is the sensible thing.

One question:  how much does it cost to have fill dirt hauled and dumped?
 I'd like to put the MH on the back third of the lot.
 It's a clearing, totally enclosed by trees....we could make a place to move the MH in, and
then once it was on the land you wouldn't even be able to see it.
 I don't know how much all that would cost but I think I should find out.

glenn kangiser

If you are in an area with a permit agency or even if not you will have to do compaction on the fill dirt if that is where the trailer is going.  Otherwise - first rain it will start settling.  How bad depends on how deep and the type of soil.  sand is pretty well compacted when dumped.  Possibly a local hauler can find you some good stuff.  There is a guy around here that supplies dirt and rock etc for around 200 to 300 per load.

Dont forget to check depth to the sewer inlet on the septic tank.  1/4" per foot is 2 feet in 100 feet.  Sometimes they will let you go less than that with 4" pipe but never less than 1/8" per foot- usually this requires special approval of the inspector.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Birgid

Update:  we just went over and checked the lot again.
 Actually, we won't even have to haul dirt.
 We can put the MH in the clearing and block it high enough.
 It's only a 3 or 4 degree % grade, according to DH.
 I was thinking it was steeper but it isn't.  We can block the MH up enough WITHOUT hauling any dirt.
 I'm relieved, to say the least.

hunter63

Sounds like your answering your own questions, funny how that works, when you talk it out with someone else?
Anyway, do you have any codes for the land? Alot of places do and many don't.

CREATIVE1

Since you think that you can't afford a stick-built house, have you considered the following (along with the other great suggestions already in this thread):

--Tearing down a house and getting the lumber, etc., for free?

--Building a cottage compound, maybe starting with John's free 200 sq. foot plans and adding a yurt for now--(depending on permitting) can be a spectacular, no-compromises layout.

--Putting together two trailers, maybe one with kitchen/bathroom and a trashed model for living/family room.

New trailers can cost more than building a real house. Old trailers catch on fire alot, can be poorly insulated, and you have to spend $$$ to make them pretty. Before buying, find out when they beefed trailers up structurally and came up with safer wiring so you don't buy an old dog.  

A friend of mine bought acreage, put on an old trailer, and then couldn't sell it because the banks would not consider the property as anything but an empy lot.  Credit ruined forever.

Lived in a cute little aluminum 1951 Silver Star travel trailer for two years, several trailers caught on fire and burned to the ground in the trailer park and one person burned to death in her doublewide.

Look around and see what things really cost if you make connections and think outside the box.  I think you'll be surprised.

glenn kangiser

Another point-- trailers depreciate - houses appreciate.  (Trailers get worth less --- houses grow in value.)

Miedrn

Birgid, you're thinking this through and that's good.

The reason I suggested building a house is that it's a permanent structure and would be better for you in the long run. There are many ways to build cheaply and using used materials is one of the ways. Freecycle.com has spots all over the country where people give things away. You can also used reclaimed lumber or check your local Habitat for Humanity Resale store.

The money you use for purchasing, moving and hooking up the MH would go a long ways toward your building materials. I also worry about fires in MH's. Another thing to look at is even if you build small, your resale value will be much higher than a MH.

I understand you're funds are limited - I raised four kids and our funds always were. I wish I had started small and added on later. I fell for the MH trap when I was younger and wish I hadn't. It can look like a nice alternative but in reality, it rarely is.

The reason I suggested an alternative to renting is because you can put those funds toward building materials. In the end though, only you can judge your own circumstances. Just do your research and make the best decision you can and in the end, you can't go wrong.