Skylights vs Dormer/shed roof

Started by MikeT, February 16, 2006, 09:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

It has been about six months of hibernation, but I am very excited about the coming months because I my septic system is being engineered, my road access permit is in process, my plans are with a structural engineer and I am hoping to break ground in April/May.  Now for my question:

I am using John's Victoria's Cottage plans with very few modifications.  But I am wondering if it would be better/easier to consider making a dormer with a shed roof instead of a installing a skylight, especially considering I am planning on having a metal roof.  Or should I abandon the idea of any additional roof cutout since the property is on the Oregon Coast, and the rain and wind will increase the likelihood of water penetration underneath the flashing.  

I would appreciate hearing your individual and collective thoughts on this.  I would rather think this through now rather than deal with field changes.

Thanks,
Mike

John_M

I always like the look of a dormer.  The extra light upstairs can brighten things up.  There is alwys the concern of a leak, but to not put what you want in a design or a build because you are afraid of things is not a good idea in my opinion.  

I say, build what you want, but follow strict building principles....sometimes going beyond what is required, to get the look and quality that you want!

Just my 2 cents!
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Shelley

But I am wondering if it would be better/easier to consider making a dormer with a shed roof instead of a installing a skylight, especially considering I am planning on having a metal roof.

Dormer would be more difficult, but perhaps less prone to leaks.  Nothing would be better water-wise, but perhaps not soul wise.  Don't have the plans.  Could you rig up something that would provide enough light in the gable ends?

My advice would be to do what makes you happiest.  You can build either a dormer or install a skylight that doesn't leak.  If you're doing all this work, it should be what you want.
It's a dry heat.  Right.

PEG688

Either way ya got to flash it . If your doing your own roofing study on the net , goggle it , for details . If your hiring it done the roofer should be able to handle it .

You might use ice and water shield up your side walls of the dormer and on the roof below using proper lapping , Think like rain. Then do what makes common sense to keep it out :)

Good luck , PEG    
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Amanda_931

Sara Susanka (of Not-So-Big-House fame) believes that skylights are a last resort.   That vertical windows work more the way we think of daylight in a room, less in the way of, say fading the carpet or cushions.  She recommends things like mirrors in strategic places, white walls, etc. to bring more light in, before you even think about a skylight.  

I do know people who love their skylights, though.

keyholefarmhouse

Also am doing the VC with very few modifications.  I believe what Shelly says,"nothing is better."  

The VC is a well balenced design.  A lot of nice options for a small place.  I really like the way it puts you in tune with outside.  Unlike a lot of small cabins, that look great from the out side but small and dark from the inside.  Are you triing to incorporate the outside because it's a plus, or triing to block it out because it's ugly.  

Natural lighting in the stair well or above it is probably the one area I'll hold out  for.   A dormer makes it easier to put in stairs.  The local SIP manufacturer insists that on all his roofs fewer openings are better and DEFINETLY OVER FLASH THEM.  He suggested 4'' more then what was recomended.
Catch nine pounders

MikeT

Thanks to those who responded.  As I look over the plans, I am thinking that eliminating the skylights that John thoughtfully placed in the design might simplify things and make the place more watertight.  
While I like the idea of more natural light, it am thinking that the cost/benefit might not be there, especially if I get enough windows in the sides and then am smart about the interior colors, mirrors and so on.

Question: If in doubt, is it better to leave them in and then do a field change if needed rather than the other way around?

benevolance

Skylights are just another excuse for a roof to leak...I love the light...Hate what you have to do to get the light

-Peter

jraabe

Good quality skylights (tempered glass, not plastic) properly flashed should not leak for the life of the roof.

When you reroof is when the problems are likely to occur. Many roofers don't redo the flashing properly, especially when adding another layer as you can with composition shingles. I've had problems with my skylights because I had a sloppy roofer redo the sunroom shingles. I have five dual glazed patio door glass skylights in my house. They were installed 23 years ago using my Sunroom and Skylight plans. Never had any problems until the roofer screwed up the flashing.

Of course, a roofer can also screw up the sidewall flashing, so the dormer vs skylight debate doesn't necessarily resolve one way or the other.

The main disadvantage of skylights is when they are used in climates with a big cooling load. If you get too much sun in the summertime they won't be appreciated as much as they will be in a cloudier cooler climate. For southern summers a vertical window (such as in a dormer) will reflect off much of the direct sunlight yet still allow daylighting to enter the room.

Amanda_931

I really said "some people love their skylights?

I wasn't thinking.

I have two, maybe 15" on a side right here in the trailer.  translucent when down, with a screen underneath (that traps leaves--which doesn't bother me enough to try to blow them out).  The one in the bathroom means I never have to turn the lights on in the otherwise windowless little room during daylight.

I'm one of the ones who loves her skylights!

I just wish I didn't have to get on top to replace the exhaust fan motor which died.