Rough-In-Plumbing

Started by pioneergal, September 10, 2006, 11:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pioneergal

We our about ready to begin the rough-in plumbing phase on our pier and beam house and need some information.
The plumbing is something that the DH is not sure that he should tackle by himself and he is considering getting a plumber for the job.

We have never done anything like this before and was wondering what kind of price quote to expect.

How is the price set for this kind of job in your area?

By the time it takes to do the job?
By the number of fixtures in the home ..... etc  ?

Thanks,

Pionergal
45 min. NW of Ft. Worth ,TX

glenn-k

Pioneergal, I don't know current pricing on plumbing but I always do it myself - it's not too hard but has to be done right-  possibly we can find you some information if you decide to give it a go.  Let us know.

n74tg

Check out the info at this website; you might find you know enough already to be comfortable doing your own plumbing.  Just check your plumbing code first to see what types of pipe they will allow.

http://www.make-my-own-house.com/diy-bathroom-plumbing.html

FrankInWI

I'm closer to being a lay person than I am to a master of anything.  When we expanded my single family into a two family, I did do all the electric (except putting in the second box downstairs) and I did do the plumbing.   Plumbing I think is one of those things getting easier for the DIY over time.  No more pipe threads, sweating joints, etc.  Brass was easy....and now tubing and fittings might even be easier.  I just believe in books....and more recently forums like this.  
When we bought our new house, as I was standing with the sales person, suddenly there was the sound of water running.  We went down to the basement and the water was running from the ceiling.
We went upstairs and opened a first floor closet door to hear water, and see wet drywall.  Shut the water off and they found that a brass joint failed.....just days of weeks after the plumber created it.  
We can all make mistakes!  The professionals too.  
Nothing wrong with hiring out though..... I'm thinking of doing that on a very peaked roof on my evenual 1 1/2 story retirement home.  It's what your comfortable with and using your money to satisfy yourself as you define it.  

Amanda_931

I'm with Frank on that.   Although there are things that I will tackle, even if it bothers me.

I got pretty good on fixing pressurized water pipes when I lived in Nashville (PVC cracks if it freezes, so if you aren't expecting it to freeze, and forget to turn on a 100 watt bulb under the house....  No more PVC for me!), especially if getting a plumber in was likely to take four or five days.  Don't know much about waste water, except that the slope from a flush toilet needs to be very gradual--exactly what I don't know, though.

Doug_Martin

QuoteDon't know much about waste water, except that the slope from a flush toilet needs to be very gradual--exactly what I don't know, though.

1/4" per foot or if I remember right the bubble barely touching one of the leveling lines.  Plumbing isn't hard -- it just takes way longer than you think it should.  :)

Amanda_931

Everything takes way too long--or at least longer than you expected.

Especially little fiddling things.

And things that the pros do at a dead run.

(although the best example I know of that is putting the tape type striping on cars, because the lines are straighter the faster you go, stop and think and you've got a wiggly line, especially with thin stripes.)

Jens

Use plenty of support for all of your pipe.  You never know when somebody crawling under the house will "accidentally" grab and break one.  If you use PVC drain pipe, support it plenty too, or it will sag over time...min-every3-4ft.  Cast iron pipe is best for waste until under the house.  Quieter.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

pioneergal

Just a note to give a big old Texas THANK YOU to everyone that has posted to my thread.

I'm making notes of each post.

If all goes as planned we will begin the plumbing this upcoming week.

One step closer........  Hallelujah!

Sassy

I didn't help any, but I'm really happy for you!  :)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free