Paint for stairs??

Started by okie-guy, October 15, 2006, 03:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie-guy

The stairs in our cabin have been made with plywood and a 1/2 round along the front edge. I was going to stain with a polyurethane finish , but I just don't like how it turned out after I put on the stain. So now I'm thinking of paint. What kind of paint should I use that would withstand the foot traffic on the stairs? Thanks.

PEG688

What was wrong with the stain job ? Blotchie?  Did you benite the wood first?  

Anyway  water under the bridge but some one else might benifit from your mistake .

I'd use a  laquer based garage floor paint , something tough might make for a slick step though :o
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Amanda_931

Porch paint?  Designed for being walked on, outdoor type.  Notorious for lasting a long, long time.    

Scatter sand on the wet paint, maybe.  I've never tried it.  

benite the wood???

PEG688

benite the wood???

Yup ,

Benite Wood Conditioner   [Specs]  [MSDS]  

A deeply penetrating wood conditioner which becomes an integral part of the wood cell structure. It does not leave a surface film, and reduces the possibility of grain raising. Benite is excellent as a pre-conditioner to avoid "spotty" stain and finish penetration. Because it penetrates, it does not chalk, crack, peel, or blister. Gives added life to weather-worn exterior stained surfaces.

Buy this product online >>
Key Benefits
Interior/Exterior
Can be a complete finish for a natural look
Great pre-conditioning treatment for staining and finishing both Interior and Exterior
Prevents exterior wood from taking on moisture until stain or finish can be applied

Good stuff , I use a lot of it  :)
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Amanda_931

OK.  Now I know.  

The only serious staining I've done has been mahogany boats back in the late seventies.  We didn't use it there.  And my neighbor who refinished furniture for a living maybe a year or two earlier than that never mentioned it.

Sounds like it does a lot of good things.

Jens

Oil based paint will last longer than latex.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!