Anyone have experience with this type of nailer

Started by T, October 03, 2006, 09:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T

Hello All,

I was interested to see if any of you folks out there have used one of (cord-less/hose-less) nail guns being offered today? Being a one man band of sorts, I was looking for some help in this dept without going as far as purchasing a compressor etc. I like the ability of it being portable (very important). Specifically, I want a Framing variety, since it could be used with some variance of fasteners (nails). I was wondering about reliability as well has how they 'really worked' on different types of wood such as 2x PT, 5/8 deck sheeting etc...

For years I used the pneumatic types Senco, Bostich etc (my boss at the time would insist on it being in your hand at all times  ::) )...  From what I have read Paslode has one that uses a fuel cartridge that drives the nail. I looked around at perhaps renting one but nothing surfaced there yet.

http://www.paslode-cordless.com/

Any feedback would be appreciated!
regards,
T

glenn kangiser

I have an old one that is currently broken but it was well used when I got it.  I understand that the current model is much improved.  

They work great.  You have to buy their gas cartridges and keep the battery charged but that isn't much problem -- shoots lots of nails per charge.  You are also stuck buying nails that will only work in that nailer -- weird angle like 30 degrees - rest are about 21 degrees.  I don't know how their nail prices compare.

I bought pneumatic after that - one power supply supports lots of tools that way and less technical things to go wrong.

I still like the Paslode though.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

T

Hello Glen,

Thank you for the response. So as far being any different from the pneumatic types they perform just as well/same power-wise...? No issues with not being able to nail up PT stuff i.e. having to back over with a hammer etc.

Also, from what I have 'read' there is some adjustability to nail size and power sent to the nailer? I would like to use this nailer for 1/2 sheeting and 1x as well as the thicker 2x stuff, is why I ask. Not to mention they are a little pricey if I can get away with a buy 1 does all thing, they look even better.

thanks
regards,
T

glenn kangiser

I don't think there is a problem with any of that - I put up a bunch of fence with it - it worked fine- I was shooting long nails - can't remember for sure but at least 10d.  When I went to get repair parts the guy at the shop told me of the new improved models.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John_M

I looked into them, but Glen is right.  A good compressor is invaluable.  I use it for all of my air guns (framing and finishing).  Also use it around the house for my air tools (changing tires, filling tires, etc.).  Also, I like to use it to blow off my power tools like my chop saw when I'm done using them.  Helps prolong their life I believe.  

Their are a lot of good deals out there for a compressor and framing gun.  

http://www.tylertool.com/pocfclhefrco.html

Make sure compressor is strong enough though.  A pancake compressor will work but may not fill fast enough for the heavy repeated use of a framing gun or roofing gun.  I would look for a compressor that has a rating of 4 or 5 cfm (how fast the air fills up).  

Just my thoughts... :)
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

Hoonza

Hi T,

I've owned a Paslode gas powered framing nailer for about 8 yrs now.  I liked it so well that I bought the finish nailer also.  Love them both.  
I'm a homeowner do it yourselfer and amateur contractor, have used them for working on my fence, roof, putting up trim around the house, nailing up stiffeners in the crawl space.  Always worked great.
I was worried about leaving the gun with a gas cartridge in it and having it leak away while in storage.  No worries about that mate, mine have always been ready to go when I pick them up.  I have two batteries now, both guns use the same so I use one for a while then switch and charge it.  Don't know how long the batteries will last – a long time.  I left one out on the deck for 2 days and it still had enough juice to use it.  I have never run the battery down in a days work.
They are a little bit difficult to get the depth of nail set properly, on the framer you have to use an allen wrench, on the finish nailer they have a little scroll sleeve that you turn by thumb?  I have to use a pliers on mine, and if you go the wrong way it comes off and you have to line it back up and get it back on there.  Good thing is once you get them set, there is not much changing required.
They do need their own brand of nails but our local Home Depot and Lowes and some local supply stores all handle them so I have quite a little stock of them now, 16s, 8, in bright, galvanized, ring shank, lots of choices there and not too expensive.
They are a bit large and unwieldy but some of the air powered nailers are even more so, they are fairly lightweight and fairly durable, I have dropped mine off my one story roof, thankfully it landed in the grass yard, no problem.  Knocked them both off 6 foot or so ladders onto the hardwood floor, no problem.  I may have been lucky though; I'm sure if they happened to land on the shooting end and bent some of those sliding parts I would have had a trip to the repair shop.
Mine don't get hard use like somebody who uses them everyday, so I can't testify to that.  But I'm happy with mine, they have done every chore I have asked and done it well.  I store them in their plastic cases in an outside Alaska unheated shed.  Keep the batteries charged and in a heated garage.  Clean up the moving parts a little after use.  I give these tools my personal top gun rating. I show them off to my friends and am proud of them.

Hoonza

T

regards,
T

glenn kangiser

Welcome to the forum, Hoonza.  Thanks for the good information. :)

Kevin

I used one to build my cabin. Workred great.
kevin

Amanda_931

I'm glad to know about them as well.  Current plans are to (one of these years--this one would be nice) build down in the woods a long way from any electricity.

hobbiest

Check Costco.  Ours here has a dual tank compressor for 149, and a Campbell Hausfeld nailer kit with framer, 16ga finish, and brad, for 169.  They may not be the best units, but if they break, you can return them.  I am going to give the nailers a try on the house we are building next.  I have never been a fan of Passlode gas nailers.  I am too impatient, and they are quite heavy.  Porter cable, bostitch, and hitatchi are my favorites.  Can't stand Senco.  OK, my two cents and I are off to bed.