landscape timber shed

Started by Jared, January 01, 2007, 04:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Ok, my wife's about to go back to work and I'm wanting to buid a shed, partly for my new tools and partly just to build something. The new weathe treating on wood and timbers.....is it fairly safe to breath? I'm not going to live in this shed, but hopefully I'll get to spend a lot of time there. They're about 4 bucks a piece at Lowe's, so it may not be financially doable. I may be better of sticking with a normal old shed with studs every 2 feet. Thanks.
Jared

bartholomew

You really need to look up or ask the lumberyard for the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for the specific product you intend to use. Every manufacturer will have their own mix of chemicals. In addition to the main preservative treatment (ACQ, copper azole, ACZA, borates), there could be water repellants, mold inhibitors, fungicides, etc.

desdawg

If you are looking at the little red timbers termites eat them right up. The ones I have seen didn't remain too sound. They were twisted and warped all out of shape. I would think regular framing might be best. JMO.