Question: Two-story 20'x34' Universal Cottage

Started by Virginia Gent, April 05, 2009, 02:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Gent

So I was wondering if anyone here has tried, or knows about, building this particular house as a Class 3 building instead of a Class 5 one. I love the way the house looks, and I'm a huge fan of brick houses so I wanted y'alls opinion on building this house, but using bricks and making it Class 3.

Thanks!
:)
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Don_P

w*
I assume you're in the VA construction code and asking about a TypeIII vs a TypeV building, the basic difference is a 5 is allowed to use any approved materials for the exterior where a 3 is limited to noncombustible exterior walls. This then factors into the allowable heights and areas of those non residential buildings.

If I'm on track, it doesn't matter, you're building a single family residence under the IRC, the int'l residential code. Yes brick veneer is fine, it will need to have a continuous foundation with a brick ledge to support the brick.

Virginia Gent

Yes sir, I meant type 3, not class 3  :P

Do you, or anyone, know where I can learn/see how to make that ledge on a foundation to use bricks?
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
~Thomas Jefferson~

Don_P

This is a pair of standard details from a detail book. I think that's ok to post but if not I can sketch it. Notice the continuous weather resistive barrier on the frame wall which overlaps a flashing that drains through weep holes (unmortared head joints) and the gap between brick and frame to allow the water that will find its way in to drop freely and get out. The one ledge design allows brick into grade the other shows a bit of foundation but is simpler. 12" block with a row of 8" is one simple way. Also research silane/siloxane as a top coat when your done. They permanently bond with the silica in masonry and are water repellants, its worked for me in the past.

John Raabe

Great detail Don_P!

Virgina Gent: You could paste either detail into the Universal plans for a modification of the standard 8" concrete foundation wall. The detail on the right will probably work fine with the standard 8" wall. You would use a 2x4 sill plate.

Details from Graphic Guilde to Frame Construction, book #6 on our suggested list.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Don_P

Yup, I'd agree, that is a suggested book, it is full of good details  :).