Stair questions

Started by diyfrank, July 11, 2010, 08:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diyfrank

Heres some questions about entry stairs.

Instead of cutting the stingers as often done, can I bolt 2x6 to the insides and nail 2 2x6's to the top of them for the steps?
If so, how far can I span from side to side. Can I go 4' wide with 2x6's. Or how about 4"x10" lag bolted to 2"x12" stringers?

Would you bring your top step even with the floor to give a better transition when stepping out the door?

I plan on using just the stairs for now and latter add a porch, reusing the stairs on the porch.
Home is where you make it

Don_P

Yes you can use cleats and fasten the treads to them. simpson also makes an angle iron type bracket for this IIRC. Off the top I believe you are limited to 3' without a center stringer in 2" material by strength of materials. You are required to have a 3' landing outside the door, if the entry door does not sweep over the landing you may step down 1 step out of the door. This is in chapter 3 of the IRC. Fo heavy timber stairs I usually use heavy timber stringers as well for appearance. The 4" max opening rules apply here as well, risers are normally required.

diyfrank

Thanks Don_p.
Maybe I'll go 3' for now.
Home is where you make it