What to Expect When You're Inspecting

Started by Rocksteady, June 30, 2010, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocksteady

Hello everyone!  This is my first post, so I'll begin with a breif introduction.  I have been reading this forum for the better part of 6 months and seriously intend on building my own 12x16 house.  I am 23 and desperate to move out and into an eco-friendly somewhat remote cabin ASAP.  I am a relatively accomplished craftsman with projects ranging from bookcases, to small lapstrake boats. Building a little house while, challenging, is not daunting for me.  I am very interested in the designs by Raoul Hennin at bungalowinabox.com.

My most serious concern is dealing with the powers that be.  Ideally I will be building in the UP of Michigan (experiences?).  I have no problem paying taxes.  I have no problem with inspections persay, but I am concerned with an official observing my project with myopic stringency.  Specifically I am concerned about having a ladder to a SLEEPING loft, this is not acceptable according to IBC.  I am also concerned with my water system.  After research I've decided on a composting toilet (more of a lack of a water system) and a rainwater collection cistern with a .05 micron filter for pottable water.  Two sinks and a shower will drain into a french drain or a drainage feild depending on the site's characteristics.  Lastly I am worried about their evaluation of my off-grid power system which may consist of a wind generator and solar panels, (the ratio and combination of these is still being decided upon pending further research). My ultimate frustration is that I see these possible inspections as needlessly expensive and over zealously stringent given my modest and benign intentions.  Besides a small garden I intend on making the smallest impact possible to the environment and my neighbors, yet the McMansions smeared across the country i'm certain will pass those same inspections with flying colors despite showing a lack of respect for either.  I'm certain this forum will continue to offer support and wisdom which I have already found most encouraging!  Thanks for your thoughts!

Derek

Jeff922

I'm really looking forward to seeing your project.  Sounds very interesting.  I'm inspired when young people not only take up the challenge of something like this but also make the effort to do it in an environmentally friendly/sustainable way.

The land I bought in Maine falls under state jurisdiction and I was anticipating having to deal with the corresponding bloated, state bureaucracy.  To my surprise, everyone I dealt with was very helpful and friendly.  Things went fast and smooth.  My advice is to make allies with the inspectors you will work with.  Call them, ask questions, demonstrate that you are putting forth the effort to do it right.  Do a lot of research and always be prepared to back things up with paperwork when you have an inspection.  For example, say you wanted to do a grey water system (which isn't a common main-stream thing yet), when you meet with the authority issuing the permit, show him/her diagrams, info on grey water systems, a sketch of you intended system, etc (and give them a copy, make THEM do some homework).  In my experience, it was not the local inspectors, or state permit procedure I had problems with.  I got much more resistance from the know-it-all, local, good-ol'-boy contractors who seemed to take issue with a DIYer.

I also have the sleeping loft/ladder issue (not much different than a bunk bed is it?).  I just said screw-it and I'm doing it anyway.  if someone has a problem with it, I'll address it then.  Good luck!!!!
"They don't grow trees so close together that you can't ski between them"

John Raabe

Jeff has good advice. It agrees with my experience as well.

Have you seen this little story? http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=9114.new#new
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Andrew (Ernest T Bass)  is in the U.P. doing alternative building.  Possibly he could help with questions - may depend on where you are there also.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.