laminated beams

Started by astidham, May 06, 2010, 07:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Hey all,
when i am building my laminated beams for my single story 20x30, should they be built from 2x8, 2x10 or 2x12? ???
they will be set atop of 6x6 post spaced at 7'6" per the plans.
Thank you for all your help.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

The plans should specify the size, grade and species. With a 7'6" pier spacing I'm betting that they should be 2x12, #2 & BTR, maybe DougFir, but could be other species too.

Are you planning on S4S (surface 4 sides = the smooth stuff where a 6x6 would really be 5.5x5.5) or rough sawn posts?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

The 6x6 are the #2 grade from lowes
— Henry Ford

astidham

I didnt check but i bet they are 5.5
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

The Pressure Treated 6x6 my Lowe's carries are rough cut and are actually 6 inches. The other timbers available here, are smooth finished, S4S = an actual 5.5" x 5.5", Doug Fir.

I asked as the true size is a factor that needs to be considered when building up the beam to match the posts and allow the use of readily available Simpson metal products.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

i bought simpson 6" post brackets, i will get a better look at them tomorrow at lowes
Thank you Don
— Henry Ford