Author Topic: The New "Inserting Images into Forum Topics" Topic  (Read 2309 times)

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Jemez Mountains, NM; that's pronounced HEY-mess
    • My 15.75 x 30 Jemez Cabin
The New "Inserting Images into Forum Topics" Topic
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
We have removed a couple of topics on image posting due to the late June, 2017 changes photobucket made to its user rules.

At present images to be posted into messages on our forums can not be uploaded directly to our forum. This is because of bandwidth costs and the desire of the operator to keep this site to be free of any membership costs. Images to be placed in messages must be hosted on a "third party"web service. There can be problems with this. In the past some image host sites have closed down, taking all the images into oblivion. Recently photobucket changed its terms of service and now wants to be paid a hefty annual fee by every user who wishes to post images to forums.

There are many image hosting sites. In the past we at countryplans have made recommendations we felt were good and viable. We have been proved wrong. As a result we can not make any recommendations at this time. Each image host should have a help or FAQ system to aid in how to use their resources to post images in forums. We do look forward to seeing your projects. If you have any questions we will do our best to assist. Leave a message here or PM one of the moderators. We thank you for your understanding.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline Danfish

Re: The New "Inserting Images into Forum Topics" Topic
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
How do you open a post that has already been "logged" to change the photo link?

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
That should be enabled. PM me if you have trouble.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn’t mean it is good design.

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
    • CountryPlans - About Us
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »
Don: Thanks for helping with advice on image posting. I'm going to see if I can turn up any advice on how to work in this new reality.

John
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Offline John Raabe

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
  • Whidbey Island, WA
    • CountryPlans - About Us
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 05:07:06 PM »
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

The forum above has some interesting mods for SMF installations.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Offline mariaicb

• Welcome to the CP-Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »
That should be enabled. PM me if you have trouble.

How can I see third party pics... what do I have to do.???

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 09:24:10 AM »
If you are viewing topics and in place of the image you see a blank with a photobucket notice, the images are no longer available for viewing due to photobucket changing its service for free photobucket accounts. There is a workaround here.

Images hosted with other photo hosts can also go dark if the photo owner removes them from the host.  There is nothing we can do in those cases.

Offline Beavers

• 12x16 House Project
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
Is there a way to post pics here from google drive?  A Google search gave a few suggestions, but I couldn't get any of them to work.

Offline Rys

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 04:54:05 AM »
Hi Beavers! Curious what you came up with? I'm looking for an image sharing site as well.

Offline Beavers

• 12x16 House Project
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 05:44:47 AM »
I've been using blogger. com. It's free and seems to work ok. It's not as user friendly as photobucket was.

Offline Rys

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 07:13:01 AM »
Thanks!

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
  • Journeyman
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Google images can be difficult to use for forum posts. Try having the image open large on the screen and the right click on the image and copy the image address. NOT the url from the address bar.

Offline Beavers

• 12x16 House Project
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »
Just tried imgbox.com....way better than blogger.com [cool]

Offline ILFE

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 10:59:56 PM »
Just curious here. Why not allow direct uploading to the forum server, to host the images attached to a given post? That would be the simplest solution.

If server hosting is not viable, for whatever reason(s), I would suggest for members to secure a Dropbox cloud account. Even a basic account will allow quite a number of images, especially if you size them to under 100 kilobytes. I believe a basic account will net you 2 Gigabytes of storage. So, that would be 20,000 images, at 100 Kilobytes each. That's a heck of lot of images.

Here is what you need to do, in order to secure a Dropbox account:
  • Register the account and download the app to sync on your hard drive (not mandatory, but certainly convenient). Dropbox also offer applications for phones and tablets.
  • Drop the image into your Dropbox folder (or appropriate sub-folder).
  • Once the file has synced, a little green check mark will show on top of the file name, as demonstrated below:

• After syncing is complete, you will have the option to copy the Dropbox link to the image. Right click to view the drop down menu, as shown below. Left click to copy the link:

• Paste the link in between the image tags in the text box of your post, on the forum. The code should appear something like this:
Code: [Select]
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck4gvf1mflwkxpe/1800-16dbi.png?dl=0[/img]
  • NOTE: You can remove the trailing "?dl=0" from the end of the link, or leave it in place. This will not matter. Typically, I remove it.
  • Change the "www" to "dl" (that is a lower case D and L). If you leave the "www" in place, the image will not show. The code should now appear something like this:
    Code: [Select]
    [img]https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ck4gvf1mflwkxpe/1800-16dbi.png[/img]

The resulting code will allow the image to be shown after posting, like this:

Concerning hosting sites going under at the drop of a hat, I don't believe this will happen to Dropbox. (Yes, I could be wrong, but I don't think this will happen any time soon.) Dropbox started in early 2007. It has become quite a popular cloud service. It, like other cloud services, allows very easy sharing of files between multiple parties. (I would not advise using it to store highly sensitive files, though.) Personally, I have been using it for a number of years, without any issues.

If anyone has any questions, or needs assistance in any way, I will be happy to help.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you need an easy way to size images, try downloading a good little utility called "ImageResizer". You can download it from THIS SITE.
    Paul

Offline MountainDon

• Administrator
    • Journeyman
    « Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 05:17:03 AM »
    Just curious here. Why not allow direct uploading to the forum server, to host the images attached to a given post? That would be the simplest solution.

Thanks ILFE for the info for how to use a Dropbox account to host images used on a forum.

It is true that allowing uploads of images to the forum host server ensure the preservation of images used in posted messages. The downside of that is mainly the bandwidth used, as each and every time the page is opened the image is sent from the server to the viewing device.  You may have noticed that there are no ads on this site, no revenue stream other than the sales of plans to generate income. So, bandwidth costs have to be watched. It is a compromise.

Offline ILFE

• Apprentice
    « Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 06:14:55 AM »
    Thanks ILFE for the info for how to use a Dropbox account to host images used on a forum.

Any time. I am not always that good at explaining things. But, I can certainly help walk almost anyone through the process, if need be.

You may have noticed that there are no ads on this site, no revenue stream other than the sales of plans to generate income. So, bandwidth costs have to be watched. It is a compromise.

Sold my last "big" forum in early 2017. I can completely relate to what you are saying. Bandwidth and server space both, can cost a fair amount of money. I think I was paying over $250 US per month just in server fees, when I liquidated my forums.
    Paul

Offline kenhill

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:30 AM »
    More detailed "how-to" insert Google images into message from Mt Don:

Here is what can be done to post them in a message.   The routine is to follow the link you posted and then click on the image. That enlarges the image. Then do a right click and copy image address on that larger image.  Next, place the cursor in the new message composing field, find the 'insert image' icon (mona lisa) above the field and click it. Then paste that copied image address in between the img tags (the cursor should automatically be in the correct place. Paste. 

Templates: 5: index (default), Ads (default), Portal (default), Display (default), GenericControls (default).
    Sub templates: 12: init, html_above, adsheaders_above, body_above, adsindex_above, portal_above, main, portal_below, adsindex_below, body_below, adsheaders_below, html_below.
    Language files: 3: SPortal.english (default), index+Modifications.english (default), Ads.english (default).
    Style sheets: 1: portal (default).
    Files included: 38 - 1121KB. (show)
    Cache hits: 13: 0.00247s for 40,607 bytes (show)
    Queries used: 22.

[Show Queries]