Surface bonding cement applied to foam board

Started by astidham, November 23, 2010, 01:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

I have been reading articles on-line about surface bonding cement being used like stucco over foam board.
anyone ever try this or heard of this?

here is a recent link I was looking at
http://www.thenaturalhome.com/htmexterior.htm
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

dug

From what I understand surface bonding cement is basically stucco with reinforcement fibers. They used to use goat hair in old time stucco recipes, works well to strengthen it and reduce cracking.

I would use stucco netting regardless, it will create a better bond with the wall and is cheap. A house I helped stucco recently was covered with foam board and netting.

I saw on your thread that you were doing this only on the lower wall sections and I'm not sure if the foam board would add any advantage unless you used it on the upper wall sections as well. ???

astidham

Quote from: dug on November 23, 2010, 02:10:54 PM
From what I understand surface bonding cement is basically stucco with reinforcement fibers. They used to use goat hair in old time stucco recipes, works well to strengthen it and reduce cracking.

I would use stucco netting regardless, it will create a better bond with the wall and is cheap. A house I helped stucco recently was covered with foam board and netting.

I saw on your thread that you were doing this only on the lower wall sections and I'm not sure if the foam board would add any advantage unless you used it on the upper wall sections as well. ???

Thanks dug, that's what I was thinking.
It is hard to find stucco wire like the davis wire on your house, so i will probably use chicken wire
— Henry Ford

dug

QuoteIt is hard to find stucco wire like the davis wire on your house, so i will probably use chicken wire

The wire I used had a paper backing already on. I used that to avoid putting a second layer of felt down which I heard you should do though no one around here I talked to has ever even heard of doubling the paper for stucco, much less done it, and stucco is big time in these parts. Not much rain here (less than 20 in.) probably has a lot to do with it.

Most any building supply or HD should have the wire without the paper, and you should use it instead of chicken wire because it is self furred- meaning it is made to stand out from the wall a little bit so the cement can get behind it. I think it costs less than chicken wire as well.

astidham

Thanks dug, where did you get the weep screed?
— Henry Ford

dug

QuoteThanks dug, where did you get the weep screed?

I found it at my local building supply. I didn't really know what I was looking for other than something to catch the bottom edge of stucco and discovered they made something for just that.