generator

Started by astidham, June 26, 2010, 03:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Hey All,
i have been using a small generator to start my cottage.
It will power my saw but not my air compressor.
its a 2700 watt i think, how many watts do i need to run a 2hp compressor?
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

???    I believe there are variables and no fast rules between rated HP and startup current. Motors vary.

My 1.5 HP compressor has no problem starting from the Yamaha 2800 watt inverter generator and that is at 8800 feet which means the genny is only capable of putting out about 2100 watts. It doesn't even seem to break a sweat. On the other hand my bigger compressor will not start with air pressure in the tank when powered by the 4000 watt generator. Not even here at 5500 feet.

I would guess that a 4000 watt would have no problem starting your 2 HP compressor.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Thank You MountainDon, i thought i put this in general forum. sorry
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

I never noticed. But moving it seemed like a good idea. Thanks.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

I run a $300 Champion 3000 watt unit and it powers my 3hp compressor.  I've also run a 4 and an old 5hp compressor on it but the 5 really dogged it.

It's peak power is 4000 watts so it can manage a bit of a boost on startup.

The generator is about 3 years old now but continues to do the job.  I hope to keep it for years to come as my backup for the solar power.

DirtyLittleSecret

My Honda 2000 gen set runs the Chicago 2hp air compressor (despite my best wishes it wont die) and stereo without kicking out of eco throttle mode.  Your 2700 watts ought to run more than you need.  What's the start up rating/draw on your compressor?
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

MountainDon

This is what I meant by 'no hard and fats rule'. Different equipment can be different; that applies to both the generator and the device being driven. And not to belabor the point, altitude makes a difference. As the engines lose power the max output of the generator will fall as well. Add to that some generators push the max, peak output number not the continuous.

TheWire

One HP is 746 watts.  With efficiency losses lets say your compressor takes 2000 watts while running.  Start-up power requirements can easily be 2-5 times that for a short period.   Lots of generators can deal with a short surge current.

One trick to try is putting a small load on the generator, like a 100 watt light bulb, that's enough to get it to spool up to full speed.  The generator will then have more surge power available and may be able to start the motor.

Phssthpok

I'm glad I got what I did when I did.

12.5Kw of mad diesel powah. heh

I could power a small neighborhood with this thing! :)

OlJarhead

Quote from: Phssthpok on June 27, 2010, 12:46:05 PM
I'm glad I got what I did when I did.

12.5Kw of mad diesel powah. heh

I could power a small neighborhood with this thing! :)

Details?  Cost?

I'm curious what you did and the cost comparison to buying.
Thanks

Txcowrancher

Hey there Phsst
that a great generator, I had one just like it for a while. I got it new in dallas for around $1800 about 4 years ago. really liked it but sold it when I moved. right now I have an old onan DJC 12 kw diesel on a trailer, its pretty good also. I really want to get a lister or listeroid sometime in addition to the onan.
your gen may be made in china but it is built to last and easy maintenence. have you seen the www.utterpower.com website? lots of good info on your generator as well as listers

Tom

Whitlock

Quote from: astidham on June 26, 2010, 03:36:16 PM
Hey All,
i have been using a small generator to start my cottage.
It will power my saw but not my air compressor.
its a 2700 watt i think, how many watts do i need to run a 2hp compressor?

You might want to look at the amps your 2700 watt genny may not have enough amps for a 2 hp motor
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present