H.R. 808: Department of Peace Act.

Started by MountainDon, April 26, 2009, 09:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

I never saw anything on this before. Maybe I was hiding under a rock or busy with other concerns.  :-\

Congressional Research Service Summary

2/3/2009--Introduced.
Department of Peace Act - Establishes a Department of Peace, which shall be headed by a Secretary of Peace (Secretary).

Sets forth the mission of the Department, including: (1) cultivation of peace as a national policy objective; and (2) development of policies that promote national and international conflict prevention, nonviolent intervention, mediation, peaceful conflict resolution, and structured conflict mediation.

Establishes in the Department: (1) the Office of Peace Education and Training; (2) the Office of Domestic Peace Activities; (3) the Office of International Peace Activities; (4) the Office of Technology for Peace; (5) the Office of Arms Control and Disarmament; (6) the Office of Peaceful Coexistence and Nonviolent Conflict Resolution; (7) the Office of Human Rights and Economic Rights; and (8.) the Intergovernmental Advisory Council on Peace.

Directs the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of State to consult with the Secretary concerning nonviolent means of conflict resolution when a conflict between the United States and any other government or entity is imminent or occurring.

Transfers to the Department the functions, assets, and personnel of various federal agencies.
Establishes the Federal Interagency Committee on Peace.

Directs the Secretary to encourage citizens to celebrate the blessings of peace and endeavor to create peace on a Peace Day.

The bill may be read here... http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-808
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

muldoon

hoping this is not obscure ... 

"From where Winston stood it was just possible to read, picked out on its white face in elegant lettering, the three slogans of the Party:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH."

.. I'm not posting much these days, trying to keep my mouth shut. 

MountainDon

Quote from: muldoon on April 26, 2009, 11:29:44 PM
hoping this is not obscure ... 

.. I'm not posting much these days, trying to keep my mouth shut. 

Quite clear.  :D

ah c'mon.    ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

Translation- department of civilian disarmament.

I better keep my mouth shut too.  :-X

Squirl

I have seen this many times before.  This is a pet project of Dennis Kucinich.  This was how he got his wife to start talking to him.  He said, we have a department of war, why can't we have a department of peace.  She fell in love with him immediately.  It was a common story when he ran for president.  Have you ever seen his wife? 

MountainDon

Squirl

It came up a lot in the primaries.  He is a perennial candidate for president.  He has his own devoted following like Ron Paul.  He is the left most fringe of the democratic party.  He thinks the worlds problems can be solved by non-violence.  Gandhi is his idol. 

His wife is statuesque and in her 20's.  He is 4'9" and in his fifties.  Makes me want to be a congressman, even if I would have keep trying to invent the department of peace.

rick91351

Department of Civilian Disarmament.  Wow Scott now that does send shivers and goose bumps. 

:-X 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

MountainDon

Thanks squirl. I just never paid too much attention to him. I wasn't going to be voting for any Dem that was for certain, so early on I paid little attention to any of them. My way to stay sane and make the election campaign seem shorter.

I looked up her picture. She does have some redeeming qualities.  :D