the phoenix commotion

Started by BobHHowell, February 15, 2009, 09:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobHHowell

I saw this in a magazine and thought you might find it interesting.  While I have been reading Country Plans for a while ... this is my first post (long time listener ... first time caller.).

The Phoenix Commotion appears to share some of the guiding principles as Country Plans supports (i.e., yes - you can be an owner builder, thrift is a virtue, etc.).  I don't know that message is always explicit here -- but I think its safe to say those virtues are implied.

BHH

http://www.phoenixcommotion.com/index2.html

Mission Statement

The Phoenix Commotion is committed to reducing the landfill waste-stream by diverting useable building materials into the construction of low-income housing, with an unskilled, minimum-wage labor force. Building the "after-market" house with this mission in mind addresses three major social problems with one activity.

Reduction of Landfill Burden

While an exact percentage is difficult to achieve, a reasonable estimate would be that 10% of the average landfill waste-stream consists of usable building material. Reclamation is practically impossible once these materials reach the landfill, because of the immense liability involved. Municipal lawsuits tend to be large, and last for years. Most municipalities have simply forbidden salvage activity, to avoid possible lawsuits. There are, however, strategies for reclamation of materials before reaching such finality.

Low Income Housing
Everyone must live somewhere. However, when a family owns its home, there is a conspicuous increase in overall self-esteem of its members and general family well being, which ultimately leads to positive social results. The venues available to low-income families are rental property, public housing, or sheer luck. Purchase of a home is often out of reach for a low-income family because of the down-payment barrier. Further, low-income families typically have very little positive credit history. Many organizations, both public and private, are working hard in this area. The Phoenix Commotion is simply one more model in the private sector for solving such a complicated social problem.

Trained Unskilled Labor
All workers on after-market houses are hired as unskilled laborers, at minimum wage. Since one minimum wage crew does all aspects of the construction, workers accumulate many marketable skills after a year on such a crew. They are then able to compete for higher-paying jobs. An unskilled crew does not mean "ineffective", however. New skills come quickly with very little tutelage.

glenn kangiser

Thanks Bob... just don't say ditto's and stuff like that.  w* to the forum. :)

I have seen that site before.

Too bad that the codes are written to sell taxable goods and discourage re-using good stuff, but some manage to do it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

I read about these guys in Fine Homebuilding years ago.  They are a big inspiration for what I want to do in my neighborhood, rebuilding the old derelict houses, teaching folks a trade, helping out people that just need a hand figuring out the home owning thing, and not a hand out, but just a hand.  God knows that if not for people to believe in us over the years, we'd be nowhere!  This guy has a great heart for people I think.  Thanks for the reminder.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!