Slab with well and septic question

Started by cabinfever, February 01, 2009, 09:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabinfever

So the papers are signed and my VT property is truly mine. Now I'm spending all of my time thinking about building. My current plan is to build the 1-story 24x30 on a slab, building the walls in 4x8 panels and transporting them to the site with a u-haul. Because the place is 3 hours away and I'll have less than a week to actually put it up, I'm also considering having trusses made and delivered to the site. I've got two questions:

1) My thought is to put in well, septic and slab first, and I'm just wondering about the logistics of the water and waste pipes w/r/t to the slab pour: How does this work? I assume the trenches and pipes are laid first and the slab is poured around them. If so, I'm guessing I have to be pretty precise about where the pipes come up - seems like moving them would be a big effort if I get it wrong. Anyone able to clarify the process?

2) Trusses: I assume these come to the side on a flatbed and get lifted via crane to the roof. I think I saw somewhere that you nail temporary 2x4 to hold them in place until the sheathing goes on as there is no ridge board. Is this option a lot more expensive than framing it yourself? And does it same significant time?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

ScottA

You're right about the slab. Plumbing goes first and needs to be exact. Trusses can save time but do tend to cost more in  some cases. Trusses are best when the span is over 16' IMO.

Jochen

For the question about trusses, take a look at Bishopknights project http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5386.0  He used trusses for his 30 x 40    1 story and lifted them in place with the help of two helpers.

Jochen