Gutter ripoff?

Started by NM_Shooter, October 15, 2008, 10:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

My aging inlaws received a quote for gutter replacement on their house today.  Actually, it's just for one side.  They have a simple single gable roof, and the back of the house has a run of 54' of length.  The fascia would have to be replaced too.  The scope of work was removal of old gutters and fascia, installation of new metal fascia, new gutters and downspout, and one additional new gutter on the east side of their house... an 18' run.  Total cost was just under $2500.

This seems a bit high to me, and I have volunteered to do the work over Thanksgiving. 

Am I out of date on thinking that this is a bit on the high side?  I was thinking that a more reasonable quote would have been about half of that.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

I'm not going to have gutters so they won't get ripped off by the snow.

Oh... I re-read that. Never mind...    rofl rofl rofl

On a serious note, virtually every time we've checked to see what it would cost to have someone do a certain job I've thought the quote was too high. There have been a few exceptions over the years. But yes, that seems like a rather high amount.

Seamless or sectional?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Seems high to me too - that's $50 a running foot.

You could figure the materials then double to triple it in this case and shouldn't be too far off.  I bet it's not that high.  Repaint the fascia included?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Why don't you rip off the old gutters and do any repairs to the rafter tails/ eave area You  could reinstall  new sub fascia , that the "metal one" your talking about , as I'd think there would  be a sub fascia out of wood,  that the "metal fascia" would be applied to.

Then call a couple of continuous gutter guys to come in and do the gutters and downspouts for you.

Most gutter outfits are "good at gutters" but I wouldn't want ANY of them to do ANY wood working repairs to ANY part of any roof.

The bid you have may reflex the company's desire to not do the repair end of your job , they ARE not set-up tool wise nor employee wise to do that part of the job so they "pad" the bid to cover things they don't normally do.

You could do your own haul off as well to defray the tip fees , or at least the labor side to those costs.     
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .