post and beam construction

Started by dukie, July 23, 2007, 09:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukie

We are trying to build a 12 x32 screen porch (shed roof design) on an existing concrete slab, and then coming back and roof the entire house with a metal roof.  We are gong to use 4x6 posts spaced 8 feet apart. Living in Florida, we were going to use galvanixed 5/8 x 6 wedge anchors to attach the simpson brackets.  However, galvanized 5/8" wedge anchor aren't available locally - 1/2" are all over the place!  Would you recommend using 1/2" wedge anchors or to use the epoxy system to set the bolts in concrete- or special order the 5/8"?  We are leaning toward epoxy - has anyone used this product and can tell us the pros and cons? Thanks for any information!!

glenn kangiser

I assume no inspections.

Epoxy requires special inspection if it requires permits most of the time.  They want to make sure you have a 1/8 (sometimes 1/16 but not common) oversized of proper depth - usually around 4" minimum embedment- that you blow - brush and blow out the hole again -- that you understand that you must start filling from the bottom and that you twist and install the andhor - that epoxy pushes up out of the hole indicating you put enough in.

1/2 inch wedge anchors should be more than sufficient assuming 2 per post minimum unless an engineer or architect has noted otherwise.  

Welcome to the forum.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sdextereo

Hey Glenn,
I do this epoxy bit all of the time at my day job.
I usualy have to dowel into concrete where rebar was left out
do to inconvenience to the concrete formwork, or was overlooked
during forming. We have a special inspector who watches the process.

glenn kangiser

Yup -Special Inspector is required when they care.  I have been on jobs where they don't care as long as it's done right.

I prefer Hilti HY150.  Sets fast and holds and I can move on.  Hung about a thousand lb beam on the side of a shopping center about 20 feet up and the Hilti was what I was depending on to keep it there.  That and shear on the bolts.

You work on the big stuff?
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.