Kipor vs. Honda

Started by kevo1971, October 15, 2014, 06:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevo1971

Me and 2 other people I know had Kipor IG3000 sinewave models all purchased around the same time (2009-2010).  One by one they failed, each with approximately the same amount/type of usage and just out of warranty of course. In each case we were told the inverter board needed to be replaced. Apparently all the components are sealed in epoxy so if there's a problem, the only option is to replace the complete unit at a cost of close to $600. The RV dealership that sold them to us dropped the line because there were so many complaints and now carry Yamaha exclusively.

Mine was meticulously maintained and never exposed to the elements. It ran perfectly until it stalled under a light load one evening. I figured it just ran out of gas but it never ran again. Rather than take a chance on repairing it, I followed my buddy's lead who had the same issue a couple of months prior and invested in a Honda EU3000IS. I now have easily double the hours on the Honda than I had on the Kipor and it still runs like new.

I'll admit Kipor seems like an awesome deal at around half the price of a comparable Honda. They have pretty much the same features, are just as powerful and quiet but the durability just isn't there.

I don't endorse any brand and am just speaking from experience in the hope that I can save someone else the frustration that we went through.

upa

Although not a Kipor I had a similar experience with a Champion 2k inverter generator where the inverter board failed around 125 hours. It was a great generator otherwise. Fortunately I bought it at Costco and they were willing to take it back. The Yamaha 2k inverter that replaced it has been flawless with just over 1400 hours on it. It used to provide prime power for my rural house and run 24/7 for weeks at a time to be only stopped for oil changes every 50- 100 hours. Now I run it very infrequently as backup for my solar system for the short cloudy days in the winter .

flyingvan

Hmmm...I was debating whether to get an inverter gennie or standard stand-by model.  I didn't want to fry sensitive electronics, but I also like the surge capacity (and cheaper per kilowatt power).  My friend who knows such things said the standard generator wouldn't hurt any of my stuff, and so far it hasn't.  So, if the motive to get the inverter generator is to protect sensitive electronics, but they are plagued by sensitive electronic issues, I don't see the gain
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Dave Sparks

Honda EU series 2000 i  inverter was bought in 2004 and was used very heavily building my 2nd offgrid home.

Probably 3000 hours or more.  Never changed the spark plug just the oil.
It still runs and I use it for tree trimming with an electric pole saw. Their 6500 i is as good as they get if you need a big one.
They all can be converted to propane/natural gas by my great vendor at Central Maine Diesel. The Kawasaki model copy is the only other small unit I have positive experience with. The rest have been just toy's as I have told my clients.

http://www.generatorsales.com/honda-generators.asp
"we go where the power lines don't"

Dave Sparks

Quote from: flyingvan on October 17, 2014, 04:51:46 PM
Hmmm...I was debating whether to get an inverter gennie or standard stand-by model.  I didn't want to fry sensitive electronics, but I also like the surge capacity (and cheaper per kilowatt power).  My friend who knows such things said the standard generator wouldn't hurt any of my stuff, and so far it hasn't.  So, if the motive to get the inverter generator is to protect sensitive electronics, but they are plagued by sensitive electronic issues, I don't see the gain

Your friend is right about standard generators if you measure the voltage with and without loads and make sure the generator is staying within Hi and low line voltage specifications. You have the best test and that is good experience with the generator.

The great thing about the inverter generator is you do not really have to test it as the specs are so tight that only a completely trashed model would vary voltage under load.  You would also hear it "hunting" with loads.  If you have a good unit you are fine.

The real test,  modern HE washing machines, dishwashers,  LED TV, and computers, all with microprocessors. They work fine for some time and then start failing.  Flickering lights in your home are a sure sign that you are borrowing from life of the equipment.
"we go where the power lines don't"

flyingvan

Well,  another cool feature of the inverters is the ability to link multiple units together..For fueling and peak load times,  not to mention the security of redundancy, it's a great option
Find what you love and let it kill you.

DirtyLittleSecret

Love my Honda 2000's (paired combo), and the 3000 we have up at the cabin.  Great units.  Change oil.  Add gas. Lots of nice aftermarket accessories to suit your particular circumstance as well.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...