grading advice

Started by ugabulldog, April 27, 2014, 06:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugabulldog

I am doing final grade around my shop. The high point is in the front center of "trough" and water will run down both sides. Should I extend gravel into trough to bottom of hill in front and lean to side or is that a bad idea because will wash gravel / dirt below away. If so I will just seed trough with grass. Thanks

Don_P

If the water from above isn't washing onto the site it doesn't look like much watershed area. If you aren't driving on an area grass it, if you are gravel it. The swale itself is better in grass to catch and filter the runoff. If you can gutter and feed the roof water onto the pasture below it would help that is alot of fast strong cutting water in a storm, good sized rock in that drip zone.

ugabulldog

Quote from: Don_P on April 27, 2014, 07:38:56 AM
If the water from above isn't washing onto the site it doesn't look like much watershed area. If you aren't driving on an area grass it, if you are gravel it. The swale itself is better in grass to catch and filter the runoff. If you can gutter and feed the roof water onto the pasture below it would help that is alot of fast strong cutting water in a storm, good sized rock in that drip zone.

Yes, the idea was to slope water from roof into pasture wonder if a French drain would work as opposed to a gutter?.  (I think the rock you are refering to is a pile of gravel.)