Local college builds 256 sq ft mini home

Started by considerations, June 28, 2012, 08:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dollarcounter

Hi Joyce:   Thanks for the link to the mini-home.   If there's another link with floor plan and interior pics, it would be interesting to see how these students are able to make the most efficient use of such limited space.    No matter what kind of space-saving tricks they've done, though, 256 sq ft would just be too small for me.   As one alternative, a "park-model" dwelling might be a budget-friendly option which is also tow-able for set-up at the building site of a buyer not inclined to engage in any self-build project.   Technically & legally, park models are considered travel trailers, but they're actually much more like mobile homes in terms of livability and in how they're built.   They can have up to 400 sq ft.   Some have lofts, which would not be counted toward the square footage as long as they're < 60" high.   I've checked out some prices which start at about $30K, but can get as high as $90K if tricked out with options and upgrades.   Of course, I have much more enjoyed the projects I've seen in this forum, incl. yours.   Michael from Chicago