Question on 16' wide Victoria Cottage in Maine

Started by sgleaton, January 15, 2010, 03:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgleaton

I would like to know the size of the exposed beams Jeff & Meghan used in their home. I am hoping to soon start on my small home and would like to use the exposed beams between the first and second floors.

I plan on building a 24x24 two-story and hope to document every step.

Scott Gleaton
LaFayette AL

John_M

I went back and looked at their photos and couldn't tell, but I'm guessing 4 x 8?  I had to use (or decided to use) 4 x 12 for my 18 foot wide cabin.  If you are thinking 24 feet, I'm not sure a beam could span that with out some help in the middle? ???
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

MikeT

I do not have my engineer's specs and calcs here at the moment, but when I return from the project site on Monday, I will share what my VC beams are.

sgleaton

The  span would range from 13 foot where i will have a support wall to 18 foot over the dining and kitchen. ı can place support posts with a suuport beam between the dining and kitchen which could cut that span to 8;10 and 6. The difference is a half bath and laundry room. I will be starting a thread specifically on my building project and will post the plans on there. My plan is to run them right to left when viewing the image.

Scott Gleaton

First Floor

Second Floor