New barrel on the way!

Started by NM_Shooter, July 29, 2009, 10:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

Got a new tube coming for my Thompson Encore just in time for elk season.  Bought a .300 Win Mag barrel (Encore Pro-Hunter, heavy contour, fluted).  I'll provide a range report assuming I can find a replacement receiver for my Encore that was devoured by locusts.  I'm thinking of loading up a bunch of Barnes Triple Shock.  Probably the 168g variety if I remember right.

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

peternap

Oh.....the fun never stops (Good choice in calibers BTW) c*
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

I wanted a new barrel for elk for that Encore.  I hike a lot and my bolt gun is too heavy.  I was all over the map on caliber choice... 30-06, 7mm variations, .338, whatever.  I finally figured that because of some of my existing reloading inventory, I should stick with a .308 projectile.  And since I reload, I can always go lighter if I want.  So that made the bigger case capacities look enticing. 

Although where I hunt, many times I can't see 30 feet because of the brush.  I also want to try the new Barnes bullets, but thought I should keep velocities up for them to perform correctly.

I am not looking forward to load development with a 6# rifle for 300WM.  I'll put a sock of lead between my shoulder and the butt.  Bought some brass today.  Jeez that is a scary looking case.

-f-

Windpower

get a 300 Weatherby mag

Nosler partition 180 gr or 200 gr  (I get almost 3100 fps from the 200 in my Remmington Classic)

IMR 7828 (83 gr ymmv)

Winchester Mag primers

26" of tube

IMO elk medicine of the first order

that said ...

the win mag is almost as good

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

NM_Shooter

Largest chamber for the .308 diameter Encore I could find stock was the 300WM.  Could have got anything from Bullberry, but the standard barrels are $277 vs. Bullberry at $470.  I'm not a fan of the freebore that Weatherby cuts into the 300 chamber.  Helps with velocity I've heard.

I noticed that a standard barrel that you can buy for the encore is a .462 Rigby.  Yikes. 

I'm going to stick with IMR4350.  I can get 8# jugs for $131  Not that I would have anything like that in my house.  No-siree.

peternap

Quote from: NM_Shooter on July 31, 2009, 09:55:55 AM

I'm going to stick with IMR4350.  I can get 8# jugs for $131  Not that I would have anything like that in my house.  No-siree.

??? Good Lord!
I'm getting the 8 pounders for 98.00
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

NM_Shooter

That's an incredible price... from whom are you buying your powder?

peternap

Greentops. It's a local store.

NM_Shooter

Barrel and forend are assembled and scope base mounted.  Hopefully will have time to get some rounds reloaded and maybe a quick trip to the range for some test firing this weekend.