local economy

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, November 05, 2008, 10:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

Circuit City headquarters announces layoffs

RICHMOND, VA (NBC12) - Employees at Circuit City headquarters say hundreds of people have been laid off  just days after Circuit City announces it's closing 155 stores nationwide. This has been Circuit City's corporate offices for years, thousands work here. Today, hundreds are leaving carrying boxes.

Employees began streaming out of these office buildings near Gaskins Road after being told their jobs have been eliminated.

A spokesman for the company declined to say how many workers were let go, employees put the number at more than 500.

Workers say they'd been expecting major layoffs after hearing earlier this week that the company was shutting down 155 of its retail stores.

Susan Walker had worked for Circuit City the last four years. She says she's actually relieved it's over.

"I came in normal time doing some work, was called in to vice president's office, was told my services no longer needed my position been eliminated," says Walker. "I was done and I could pack up and leave at any time."

Walker is like a number of employees who were laid off that we talked to and defend the company and hopes it has success and can pull itself back up. Today, we're hearing Circuit City may declare bankruptcy, it's something we're watching for and will report on later this afternoon.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!