Recolonizing after Katrina - a getaway cabin

Started by miss_coast_cabin, September 01, 2008, 06:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss_coast_cabin

From newbies: We're just getting going on building a weekend getaway on the same land where our 1880s home, boat shop, guest house, and shop stood, 21 feet above sea level and 1000 feet back from the Gulf, in humid Bay Saint Louis MS. Katrina propelled the entire upwind neighborhood onto our land. The heavy, strong, balloon framed house stood up against it all, but came loose from its foundation piers and moved 20 ft., losing most of the floor. The complex roof line was still straight, and, in one spot where 24 ft. of wall was absent, the 6x6 hard pine plate still held the roof with hardly a sag. In the aftermath, I did not get a chance to restore or deconstruct, and FEMA (rymes with hyena, kinda) eventually closed in. The shop is still standing and we plan to restore it to working order - for small boats anyhow. We're living 170 miles away with good jobs and have purchased a 1950s home there (which is also due a good deal of work.) I am a facility manager with a building rehabilitation and sawmill background.
We'll have to do this one almost entirely by contracting, getting on site only on weekends, unless something urgent comes up. We're pretty familiar with what makes a servicable home in the South: managing sunlight incursion, lots of porch-breezway space, and an enduring roof (metal is our preference) that passes little energy in or out. We'll have to meet what I think is the Dade Co. FL version of building code. I have not gotten into it yet. I am also not sure how high we'll have to elevate above ground level, although I think that it will be 2-4 feet only. Our taste goes toward a rustic interior look. I'm partial to materials like sawn lumber and boards, corrugated steel, glass, tile. Used, "recycled" materials are especially welcome. We'd like to avoid materials that can't get wet, should it ever again come to that. Budget is about 60K (because getting insurance is difficult and expensive) and we're hoping for about 650 sf enclosed, with somewhat more under roof in porches, overhang, or screened connectors. We need a not-so-great room and sleeping for two couples, that's all. It would be nice to have a little roofed air space separating the three sections from one another, to give privacy and quiet. We'll need a toilet, lav, and shower for each sleeping space. We won't need much storage, since we'll just have weekend clothes, and the shop is nearby anyway.
There is a bit of good news in a all this. The lot is flat and sandy, and we have plenty of space. The only site restriction is that I wish to have a covered walkway going at least under the overhang of the shop, making it convenient to unload groceries in the rain. We've got an architect neighbor who is not shy about innovation, does some hands-on rehab., and shares our aesthetics. I think that he'll be willing to be on site to check up. We don't have a builder, although there are a few possibilities.

At this point, we're looking for concepts, approaches, features, and materials that have been successful in applicable circumstances. If any of the above jogs someone's memory about something that would help, please make a mention.
Meanwhile we're going to plunge in and look around.
Maybe we're just dreaming, but we're cleaning up the property like we're going ot find a way...
Thanks

miss_coast_cabin

Hmm... just discovered some of the 500 SF single enclosure designs.
Also, dog trot seems to have something to have possibilities.
It's already been a good visit. Thanks, all!

glenn kangiser

w* to the forum, miss_coast_cabin.

The 20 x 30 single story or maybe taller could give you what you want.  You can easily extend length.

For possible wet - I would stay away from any of the building wraps - tyvek etc and just go with felt - solid wood - no sheetrock.  Housewraps are notorious for mold in damp conditions.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glocksrus

My inlaws just finished rebuilding in the Bay. This last 2 storms have put alot of water in the yards. Good luck with the rebuilding.

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.