Home Slicker

Started by CREATIVE1, March 03, 2008, 12:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CREATIVE1

Has anyone used this product under siding to deal with moisture issues?
http://homeslicker.com/products-hs.htm

NM_Shooter

No dealer within 200 miles of me  :-[

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

fishing_guy

At fisrt glance, it looks good.  However, their "50 year warranty" leaves a lot to be desired.  Lots of wiggle room for damages.  First of all, it only applies to the original owners.  Not a lot of houses that haven't been sold at least once in 50 years.  Second, they won't cover things like acid rain.  Seems that would be an expectation in some parts of the country.

I like the 3 dimensional aspect as it would give channels for the rain or moisture to dissipate though.  It all depends on the quality of the materials used to manufacture it.
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

John Raabe

I think we will be seeing more of products like this in the future - especially in windy and wet climates.

However, I thought that Tyvek was a great product too! I recently took off some warped cedar siding on the south side of a dormer to find that the 20 year old Tyvek was totally shredded.  :P

You get much the same rain screen effect with good old tarpaper - 15# is good, 30# is better. The wrinkles provide the capillary break and the venting needed to dry out the back of the siding. Plus you have a time-tested product that has been used just about everywhere.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Thanks for confirming what the studies we have found told us, John.  Great to have firsthand experience.

As I recall one study i read mentioned that the natural oils in Cedar could damage Tyvek, but it is not much of a product in my opinion.

If you have to be a rocket scientist to maybe know when it will work and when not then it is not worth using.  Good old felt/tarpaper still prevails.  Maybe you will have a problem -- maybe not  50/50  -- too big a gamble with your hard earned money.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.