Anybody have a beam pocket detail drawing?

Started by cedarglen, February 14, 2007, 11:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cedarglen

I just got my permit on John's 2 story universal. I have Wagner's book but he does not talk about wood framed beam pockets however. We have a 13.5" gluelam girder under the house in the buildup. We are building on a poured concrete stemwall on a sloping lot. Any pictures or drawings of beams in beam pockets that anybody has would be helpful. Any tips?

Thank you
Charles

peg_688

This site might help , there's a little booklet on the site , click on "flash it right" and it will open , H/D , Blowes / any big box should have the "real life " booklet as well.

If your stuffing the gluelam into a concrete beam pocket your could wrap the end in / with the Grace Vycor tape . That would cover your concrete to wood connection point.

If your putting the beam into a wood framed wall , just put a king stud on either side of your beam and fill in under the beam with  trimmer studs , and any "odd" plywood / OSB / 1 x material to fill up that space between the king studs , so what amounts to a solid post under that beam to direct bearing on your sill plates / foundation.

G/L PEG  

Guess it would help IF I posted the link ::) ;D

Link : http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/prodline.cfm?did=26

jraabe

The traditional way to support a beam in a pocket of the stemwall is to block out a foam or wood block sufficient for airflow around the beam.

From, "Graphic Guide to Frame Construction", by Rob Thallon

See my review here: http://www.countryplans.com/books.html (with Pic of earlier edition)

peg_688

I'd change one thing there, in the second detail  , I'd notch the PT plate [highlight]around the beam [/highlight]as opposed to notching the beam .

cedarglen

We are putting it into the wood framed cripple wall. Can the beam sit right on the sill or would it be better sitting up a little on short posts? We would like to keep the buildup as short as possible.

Charles

jraabe

It can sit directly on the sill plate. If you have to notch the plate, place it on the concrete and use the same moisture block as above.