Wall to rafter height correleation

Started by Tome, December 07, 2014, 06:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tome

Will eight foot walls look good with a ten foot rafter height?

MountainDon

Do you mean 8 foot high main floor walls with a roof peak height of 10 feet above the main floor ceiling height?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

Quote from: Tome on December 07, 2014, 06:35:09 PM
Will eight foot walls look good with a ten foot rafter height?

To me that would really depend on your building width.  Easiest way to tell would be buying an architect's scale ruler and just draw it.  Pick one up for less than $10.  Handy to have in your desk drawer anyway.

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

Structurally, a building should be wider than tall if at all possible. After that it gets into taste. I can visualize better using sketchup, drawing and moving around a 3d sketch than using paper and pencil. For basic stuff you can learn to use it quickly.

Tome

Quote from: MountainDon on December 08, 2014, 01:01:40 PM
Do you mean 8 foot high main floor walls with a roof peak height of 10 feet above the main floor ceiling height?

Exactly, I am trying to decide if eight foot walls will look good with a ten foot rafter rise ( sorry if the terms are incorrect), or should the two be the same dimension. ( ten foot walls and ten foot height above the walls?)
24' width with 10:12 roof slope  I believe yields a ten foot height. FOr reference the length is 36'.

Thanks for the response and sorry for my inexperience with the terms.

Don_P

I've done those dimensions a number of times, it also looks and works well with dormers up top. You do need to watch the overhang drop and door/window heights. It can be difficult to get more than ~1' overhangs framing conventionally. That is one of the areas you can see evolve as you draw it.

MountainDon

I'd draw it to scale with paper or sketchup or whatever you can use easiest and go from there.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Tome

Quote from: Don_P on December 08, 2014, 08:40:06 PM
I've done those dimensions a number of times, it also looks and works well with dormers up top. You do need to watch the overhang drop and door/window heights. It can be difficult to get more than ~1' overhangs framing conventionally. That is one of the areas you can see evolve as you draw it.

Thanks, it looks like the concensese is to draw it up.

I think I will start with nine foot walls and a ten foot exposed rafter rise for a total of 19'. The width will stay at 24'.

Thanks to all that responded.